Taxidermy "woes"

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: Taxidermy "woes"

Unread postby muddy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:20 am

Dewey wrote:Stay home and have some good home cooked meals instead of going out to eat. I rarely go out to eat because I don't trust other people making my food and I hate to wait.
I would much rather put that money into taxidermy and look at it everyday. ;)

The problem with staying home to eat is that we have 2 year old twin daughters and a 9 week old son, there is not enough time in the day to make nice meals. We generally cook a bunch of stuff on Saturday/Sunday and eat leftovers for a week and then freeze the rest of it. Being a one income family (though it's a not as bad as it seems) we are just playing it safe right now. If it weren't for having my wife go in for a 9 day stretch and my son go in for a 6 day stretch in the ICU areas then this wouldn't be a problem. I will gladly trade their health for not getting a deer head on the wall.

I should point out that the 2nd deer head is still roaming around a timber/field somewhere. If I don't drop the hammer then this will be a moot point/post! It will maybe give me the courage to turn the page into a new chapter of hunting where I'm able to pass up the 150's and start waiting for 160's and God willing 170's.

That being said my buddy sent me a photo of a buck that I'd really like to smoke, 16 points and 6.5 years old, mid 150's and he said he'd give me the sheds off it from the past few years. That would make a sweet pedestal mount. :mrgreen:

Sling Shot by name.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:57 am

muddy wrote:
dan wrote: Tell her no more make up or shampoo till the bills are paid!

That would be like telling your wife no more coon or skunk adoptions until after the bills are paid.

I like my wife clean and smelling good when we go out to eat.

All u can smell right now is diaper poo anyway. Freeze it do it later. I hear plasma donation pays good in your area :mrgreen: .

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:23 am

I forgot about donating plasma. Wife said those big needles play on your vein walls tho.

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:14 am

muddy wrote:I forgot about donating plasma. Wife said those big needles play on your vein walls tho.

unless you plan on becoming a drug addict/.....you will have no ill effects unless you do it for 20 years 3x/wk.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Dor is right!!!!! I have done Apheresis donation for years as well as regular donations, big 18 gauge needles. Veins are fine, but my right arm does look like I have been stuck with a needle often. However, it is easy to tell it was for donation rather than shooting up. What drug addict would shoot up with an 18 gauge needle????

Muddy, I think you are doing the right thing. If/when you get the big boy down, you will know what to do. European mount would look good and later down the road you can get a cape for him and have a full mount done. I am really glad your wife and son are doing well and he is growing like a weed.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:40 pm

If being 14 pounds @ 10 weeks old constitutes "growing like a weed" then were there! He's a tank and already sleeping thru the night. The girls didn't both sleep thru the night till they were 10 months old and didn't hit 14 lbs till they were 8 months old. Truely blessed here, nothing to hide and no regrets.

ryanm

Unread postby ryanm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:57 pm

I was told by a taxi that the ears dry out and can get hard to flatten out with if it sits in the freezer too long without being tanned. Anybody else hear that?

I'm not sure what to do with this years buck in the freezer... last year is still at the taxi, getting "caped" ;)
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:34 am

Go buy one of those big vacuum bags for storage, the ones for blankets etc, that you hook up your shop vac to and suck out all the air. The cape will keep for years in the freezer with no air to dry it out.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:43 am

Great idea Grud!!!! Does it affect the way the hair lays from the vaccuum?
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:11 am

muddy wrote:Was informed by my better half that even if I shoot a toad during gun season I can't get it put on the wall. I frowned and looked over to find her clutching a fist full of hospital bills from the delivery and the post par tum ER admission. That sucks. I get it and I understand but that doesn't make the pill any easier to swallow. I guess I'll just have to shoot one so big that it will make her realize how awesome it is for wall decoration! :D

Just venting.

Bills Suck. I have a bunch to share if anyone needs some
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:18 am

ryanm wrote:I was told by a taxi that the ears dry out and can get hard to flatten out with if it sits in the freezer too long without being tanned. Anybody else hear that?

I'm not sure what to do with this years buck in the freezer... last year is still at the taxi, getting "caped" ;)

The ears and other parts can become dehyrated in the freezer. It's an easy fix if it's not too bad. If there is a lot of freezer burn it's still fixable but can be a pain to do and it can be very time consuming.

For this year's buck it can stay in the freezer for several months but I would recommend getting it skinned out and salted or tanned sooner rather than later.

Like GRUD said, vacuum seal if possible otherwise once it's been cooled down fold the face and ears to the inside, roll or fold up, put in plastic bag and freeze.

huntinnurse - folding or rolling up a raw or tanned cape in a plastic bag or vacuum sealed bag shouldn't affect the way the hair lays on the finished mount.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:22 am

Have it beattle cleaned. Cape it out your self, freeze the cape til you can afford to mount it. You can allways show off the skull, and if you want to mount it you can, if not the cape may be needed down the road for your self or someone else that needs it.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”