Hooking mount

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Hooking mount

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:42 am

This is what the mount was suppose to look like....

Ears are back and inner ear rotated down... hair on forehead is up and eyes look full of adrenaline

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:21 am

Bucky wrote:This is what the mount was suppose to look like....

Ears are back and inner ear rotated down... hair on forehead is up and eyes look full of adrenaline

THAT LOOKS SIC
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:32 am

With a wall like that, who cares about the ears, aside, I have one on similar form and ears are the same.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:38 am

sunset samurai wrote:With a wall like that, who cares about the ears, aside, I have one on similar form and ears are the same.

Do you mind posting up a pic? I have discussed with another friend/taxi and he agress ears on my mount are incorrect. The ear butts are seated too low
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:09 pm

I think the ears are placed ok for the hooking aggressive pose that you chose there. They could have been cupped down more, but it doesn't look bad. I have the 64D for one of mine which is very similar to your mannequin. I will take a couple pics and post them in a few.

Last edited by buckeye on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:16 pm

The angle of the ears in relation to the head is a slightly off. And there are small sublties with the eyes, mouth and hair on the head that make it look less aggressive. I cant pick out the exacts but i can see that to a degree. But i mean thats really nitpicking it. It's pretty good work. Judging from the looks of your wall they are all good so one slightly off isn't to bad really...

I think that's a tougher pose than most to get perfect

Last edited by Swampbuck on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make It Happen
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:44 pm

Here is a couple pics.

Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:25 pm

1st of all: Great walls Bucky and Buckeye !
I give you both a lot of credit for trying something like that, it is nerve racking; I know.

I really like the one that Bucky posted (little 8).
But the difference between Bucky's from this year and that one, is quite noticeable, albeit not easy to identify.

Buckeye's is showing some attitude, but even his could be more "You Want Some of THIS"!

Thanks for posting and being open to the "critics" !
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:27 pm

Arrowbender wrote:I give you both a lot of credit for trying something like that, it is nerve racking; I know.

I have 10 mounts and not one of them is the exact same, There is two that are the same semi sneak form with one turned left and one turned right. Other than that each are different with two being custom altered forms.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:51 pm

Buckeye - I agree! If the ears butts were slightly higher and cupped slightly downward it would make a world of difference on the "ear" porition of the mount.

I like the looks of your mount... back up and take another pic of your wall!! :mrgreen:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Bucky wrote:
sunset samurai wrote:With a wall like that, who cares about the ears, aside, I have one on similar form and ears are the same.

Do you mind posting up a pic? I have discussed with another friend/taxi and he agress ears on my mount are incorrect. The ear butts are seated too low

What are your options? Can your buddy fix it if the original taxi won't touch it?

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:52 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Bucky wrote:

What are your options? Can your buddy fix it if the original taxi won't touch it?

He said he would attempt...

His mentor was Joe Meder and he is good

His recommendation #1 was to wet hide slightly and wash with shampoo/conditioner and then blow dry so hair is not flat... he said that will help a bunch

His opinion was ears needed some work too... but that would require re-hydrating all the way down to neck.... sounded like a "project" that may end up :o

I think if I can get the hair more stand up looking and some how rotate the ears so they are slightly cupped downward... that would make a world of difference.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:53 am

If the ear butts are done with clay, put a wet rag around them and rehydrate it. You will then be able to fix it and position it how you want.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:58 am

Jeff G wrote:If the ear butts are done with clay, put a wet rag around them and rehydrate it. You will then be able to fix it and position it how you want.

Jeff G - would you be willing to be willing to help me? I'd gladly pay you for your time

I just don't wanna pretend to be a taxidermist! :lol:
But I'm not happy with the way it is obviously :lol:
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:10 am

I sent you a message. Call me I will explain how to do it. It's not hard.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”