Repair

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muskieman

Repair

Unread postby muskieman » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:39 am

This is my first mount from 15 years ago. The skin around the mouth has pulled back and shrunk over the years. Any easy fix to make it so you can't see the foam form inside. I was thinking black plato or something similar . Doesn't need to be perfect but just want that gap gone...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Thermals
500 Club

Re: Repair

Unread postby Thermals » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:55 am

You could rebuild it with apoxi sculpt and texture it back, that's the problem with dry preserved hides

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:42 am

You could rehydrate the lower lip and chin/lower jaw skin by putting a wet rag on it for several hours or overnight. After that skin is rehydrated, push some of the chin/lower jaw skin and the lip back up into the correct position and pin in place until it dries. You could also use some epoxy on the inside of the lower lip and pin in place until it sets and the skin dries which would take a few days. After the skin in dried in the new position, fill any pin holes with epoxy if needed and paint if needed.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:12 pm

Great tip MM...
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:33 am

Mountain Man wrote:You could rehydrate the lower lip and chin/lower jaw skin by putting a wet rag on it for several hours or overnight. After that skin is rehydrated, push some of the chin/lower jaw skin and the lip back up into the correct position and pin in place until it dries. You could also use some epoxy on the inside of the lower lip and pin in place until it sets and the skin dries which would take a few days. After the skin in dried in the new position, fill any pin holes with epoxy if needed and paint if needed.

I agree with mountain man. Nice tip! :clap: :clap:
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:07 am

Wow MM. Never thought of that. I will give it a try....Thanks!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:37 am

muskieman wrote:Wow MM. Never thought of that. I will give it a try....Thanks!

You should post pic's after your done... Curious how it turns out.
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:24 pm

So I got a damp rag on mouth lower and lower jaw now. Just so I understand, after it stretches I can pin it in place and be done or does the epoxy need to also be used to clean up the gap? If so is there a certain epoxy that I should use?

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:06 pm

After I mounted my first one 3 weeks later the lips pulled. I rehydrated it and used some hide paste on the inside then tucked it in then pinned it for a week to make sure it wouldn't pull back out as it dried. Worked well for me.

Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:59 pm

muskieman wrote:So I got a damp rag on mouth lower and lower jaw now. Just so I understand, after it stretches I can pin it in place and be done or does the epoxy need to also be used to clean up the gap? If so is there a certain epoxy that I should use?

After it's rehydrated, stretch and push the skin up toward the mouth. I would pull the front of the bottom lip out so the inside of the bottom lip is exposed, put just a little 2-part liquid epoxy on the inside of the bottom lip and then put the bottom lip back where it belongs. If there is a little extra skin on the bottom lip you can tuck that back in the lip slot or trim it off. This whole process might work with only pins but the epoxy is a little extra insurance that once you get the bottom lip back where it should be it won't pull out as much like it could if there wasn't epoxy inside the lip. After the bottom lip has dried - I would wait 1-2 weeks to make sure it is completely dry, pull the pins, fill any pin holes with epoxy putty, and and paint to look natural.

Any liquid 2-part epoxy should work. If you don't have any you can get some at Home Depot by the glue area for a few dollars.

I normally don't like to use epoxy because once it sets you won't be able to change it. In this case I think you need to use it to hold that lower lip back where it belongs.
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:51 pm

Thanks again Mountain Man! I will see if the lower lip got hydrated enough last night to pull up.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:18 am

Keep us posted.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:07 am

How did this repair end up work out for you?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”