Curing a turkey fan

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ZSV
500 Club

Curing a turkey fan

Unread postby ZSV » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:35 am

This will be my 3rd year turkey hunting. The first two were unsuccessful in getting a turkey, but I've learned a lot.

Anyway, when I get my turkey this year I plan on mounting the fan myself. What do you guys prefer to use to dry it out? I've watched a few videos on YouTube some say borax others say just salt is ok. Just wondering what the beast members prefer. Thanks for any input in advance.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
DeerDylan
500 Club

Re: Curing a turkey fan

Unread postby DeerDylan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:44 am

I like using Borax

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:08 am

I have used both salt and borax, they both work nice! key is getting most of the fat and meat off of it. I use a wire brush
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:45 am

Just finished my second bird from last spring. Like previously mentionted, get as much meat off of the fan as you can. I cut the feathers off the back of the fan and save them to use for the smaller feathers just above the wooden plaque to fill in gaps and to cover up the little fluffy feathers. After that i usually spread the fan out the way i would like it to stay in the end and put a couple of screws in some plywood against the outside feathers on each side of the fan. Then i add the borax and let it sit for a week. After that sits, i clean all of the borax off and then i use automotive bondo just around the backside of the fan along the base of the feathers to help hold them all in place. Im sure there are a ton of ways to do this but thats just what i do. I enjoy doing my own and also a couple of friends and family members too during the winter. Gives me something to do. Heres a pic of the one i just finished.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”