DIY Skull Boiler

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SamPotter
500 Club

DIY Skull Boiler

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:39 am

I've had a Buck Boiler for a couple of years and it worked great (30-40 heads) until the end of last spring. I've taken it apart twice and removed a ridiculous amount of rust and slake from the elements. Even after cleaning it I can't get it to heat above 140 degrees.
I saw a thread about a DIY version so I went to Tractor Supply to try to buy the components. They were sold out of the drain-plug tank heating elements but the manager did point out this unit that you just drop in the bucket. I was skeptical but she suggested that if it didn’t do what I wanted it to that I could just return it. For $36.99 I figured what the heck.
Well, it works really well ! I had a head of my cousin’s (including hair, eyes, jaw, brains, etc.) that I had been working on in the old Buck Boiler and I threw it in a new bucket with some cascade, water, and the new heating element. After 3 hours it was up to 200 degrees. At that point I removed the head and gave it a good shake. The bottom jaw fell off and all of the major flesh came off with a few flicks of my knife. There was still some cartilage left so I replaced the water and let it go 2 more hours. I hit the skull with the pressure washer and the end result is below. I still need to degrease the skull, but otherwise it is done.
I found the same heating unit on Amazon for $39.99. The reviews are the most interesting part. People are using it to heat hot tubs and swimming pools! The big thing about this unit is that it is a HEATER, not a de-icer, so it has no thermostat and will not shut off on it's own.
http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Precisi.../dp/B000BDB4UG
Today I ordered a thermostat control unit off Amazon which shipped for about $27. I am going to add this so I can maintain a 180-190 temp and not over to prevent damage to the skull.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: DIY Skull Boiler

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:49 pm

Great idea.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 am

Nice tip thanks!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:57 am

Simple, easy and effective i like it. Never heard of using that before. Is that stainless steel?

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:59 am

good idea. I use a propane turkey deep fry burner. 2 hours and done.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:32 am

hunter_mike wrote:Simple, easy and effective i like it. Never heard of using that before. Is that stainless steel?

Yes, the guard is stainless.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:31 am

Here’s a deer my Dad shot. Because he didn’t skin it out 4 months ago I wasn’t really compelled to do it either. I boiled this one yesterday.

After 6 hours in the boiler and then drying overnight:

Interestingly, this deer had some dental issues that may have become a serious problem over time:

vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:12 pm

It looks like the noses on the skulls are splitting. You are leaving them in the water way to long if that is happening.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:19 pm

I think it has to do more with the deer's age than time in the water. I have 2 other bucks that were mature that I did that had no splitting at all. One was in the water for a lot longer than the 2 younger bucks above.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:04 pm

Put a rubber and around the snout after it is done whitening. The bones are still playable. After it has dried. It will be closed forever.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:05 pm

What are you using when you boil? I use soda ash. Dissolves the meat and grease.

vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Jeff G wrote:Put a rubber and around the snout after it is done whitening. The bones are still playable. After it has dried. It will be closed forever.

I've never had one spread out and need a rubber band. I've done 14 of them with soda ash, 45 minutes to an hour in the water tops. I've seen buddies leave them in for a couple hours and they always start falling apart like that. Had a taxidermist tell me to keep it under and hour when I first started doing them. I realize you're a taxidermist too but leaving them in for multiple hours isn't good for the skull.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:46 pm

2 hours isn't that long. You need to watch your water. You do not want a hard boil, just on the verge of boiling. I very rarely put a rubber band on. I've done hundreds this way, and was taught this way. It works.

vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm

Jeff G wrote:2 hours isn't that long. You need to watch your water. You do not want a hard boil, just on the verge of boiling. I very rarely put a rubber band on. I've done hundreds this way, and was taught this way. It works.

I always watch my water and never boil. Out under an hour and they have never fallen apart. soda ash is awesome. Taxidermist taught me, he has done hundreds with no rubber bands. I like his way. Glad your way works for you.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:26 pm

vanceg wrote:
Jeff G wrote:2 hours isn't that long. You need to watch your water. You do not want a hard boil, just on the verge of boiling. I very rarely put a rubber band on. I've done hundreds this way, and was taught this way. It works.

I always watch my water and never boil. Out under an hour and they have never fallen apart. soda ash is awesome. Taxidermist taught me, he has done hundreds with no rubber bands. I like his way. Glad your way works for you.

I like the sound of this. Anything that saves time and produces equal or better quality is a winner in my book. Do you have any other tips vanceg?

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”