Buck In Freezer

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jay

Buck In Freezer

Unread postby Jay » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:10 pm

How long can u have deer in the deep freeze if you are going to mount it? Is there a time limit?

Mountain Man
500 Club

Re: Buck In Freezer

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:38 pm

If it's the whole head and unskinned/uncaped I wouldn't leave it in there more than a few months. Any longer than that and you risk freezer burn/dehydration especially on the ears, around the eyes, and the lips and nose areas. Freezer burn can be fixed by a taxidermist but it can be time consuming and something that can be prevented. The sooner you can get it to your taxidermist the better.

If it's already been skinned/caped and the face and ears are tucked inside and the cape rolled up so that the cape is covering/protecting the face you could put it in a plastic bag, squeeze out as much air as you can, and you could leave it like that for several months or a year and it should be fine but you still might get a little freezer burn on the edges of the cape that would be behind the shoulders.

Another option is if you're sure you want it mounted, get the cape tanned and then you could freeze the tanned cape in a plastic bag and then it could be stored for a few years that way. If that gets a little dehydrated some water can be sprayed on the dry areas and they will rehydrate rather quickly.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Best is to get it to the taxidermy shop right away! I prefer to cape it, turn and salt everything right away. Bring it down to our shop and we will treat you right. Mention your a beast member and we will give you a $25 discount off a mount!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:45 pm

Friend of mine let one in the freezer for 2 years. I have left a couple in the freezer for a year to catch up on funds. My freezer drops down to -10. I did have mine wrapped in plastic. My taxi man says as long its frozen no problem for a year or so. He says the meat on the hide may get some freezer burn but he scrapes all that off anyway.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Stanley wrote:Friend of mine let one in the freezer for 2 years. I have left a couple in the freezer for a year to catch up on funds. My freezer drops down to -10. I did have mine wrapped in plastic. My taxi man says as long its frozen no problem for a year or so. He says the meat on the hide may get some freezer burn but he scrapes all that off anyway.

That's what I was trying to do Stanley. I think I will take it to the taxi and see what he can do.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:48 pm

Jay wrote:
Stanley wrote:Friend of mine let one in the freezer for 2 years. I have left a couple in the freezer for a year to catch up on funds. My freezer drops down to -10. I did have mine wrapped in plastic. My taxi man says as long its frozen no problem for a year or so. He says the meat on the hide may get some freezer burn but he scrapes all that off anyway.

That's what I was trying to do Stanley. I think I will take it to the taxi and see what he can do.

Let us know how you make out. Interested in what he has to say.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”