Unresponsive taxidermist

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: Unresponsive taxidermist

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:06 pm

I thought maybe he would have gone on an elk or bear hunt. He had a lot of elk and brown bear mounts of his own. VERY nice looking house and mounts he had. He said it would take about a year. I havent payed him or told him exactly what I want done with the mount yet so that is what I wanted to talk to him about. I could care less when its done really just want to be kept updated. I feel uneasy leaving that rack anywhere and when he doesnt get back to me in the timeframe so far it doesnt feel right. I will call him next week again..

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:10 pm

He had about 10-20a whitetail racks downstairs and a bunch of full mounted goats, bears, and african animals. We were talking about hunting too that he does alot of. He seems like a really down to earth guy. I hope hes just out west hunting.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:14 pm

Sounds about right. Hopefully its an out west deal.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:04 am

He may have a legit answer like sickness in his family or worse, so be diplomatic about it.
Or, he may be overly busy if he is a popular taxi and sick of phone calls, although this could be bad business practice.
I'm sure everyone can appreciate a time or two when they bit off more than they can chew.

My only bad experience was with my Texas mount back in 2007.
Went on this hunt as my 40th b-day present from my wife along w/ two buddies.
This hunt was suggested from a good friend that has gone the 7-previous seasons with great stories.
He also suggested leaving the mounts with the taxidermist he had used.

Well this particular year the gentleman that suggested this hunt couldn't make it and we did enjoy the hunt with good success.
My group of three left our heads w/ this taxi and was told 3-months tops for completion, as he did his own hides (that should have been a flag)...
After numerous calls from the 3 of us (different person each week), starting at the 4th-month mark and going into the seventh month (without returned calls);
We then contacted the outfitter who drove 2-hours to visit this taxi...

The taxi finally called us back and explained how someone in his wife's family was sick and he had to go to Mexico for a month.
Lost his cell phone...
Then he divorced his wife and blah-blah-blah...
Every excuse (not to sound unsympathetic) that just didn't add up. He sounded just short of a nervous breakdown...

9-Months later our mounts showed up and were the worst mount I had seen in years. :cry:
The hair looked like straw (all dried out), antlers crooked, and it looked like he dropped soda on top the head with the sew line matted down and weird looking.

Moral of the story is good word of mouth (which we had and w/ direct experience) can never surpass someone's difficult times and hope their integrity prevails...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:40 am

I personally know of 2 people that got burned by a taxi man. Both taxi guys moved and never got back to their clientele. Make sure the guy hasn't moved that is the first thing to consider.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:22 am

A friend of mine hunted in Africa and ended up killing 5-6 animals that he wanted to mount. Had them shipped back to the states (very expensive) and sent to a local taxidermist who agreed to mount them along with the animals of other guys in his hunting party. After paying a large down payment on the work they waited for the call that they were done. After a year or so they tried to reach the taxi to get an idea on the progress but were unsuccessful. After many attempts they eventually found out the guy skipped town and took everyones money and the capes were nowhere to be found. Many of them were going to be full body mounts so lots of money was involved.

I believe they eventually caught up with the guy but don't think many of the capes were salvageable. Pretty sure there are some lawsuits going on but how do you replace trophies like that?

Hope I never have to hear a story like that again. Don't mean to get you worried Czabs and hoping your taxi is on vacation or just extremely busy finishing up last seasons work. I would just stop in and pay him a visit since you have to finalize what you want done anyway. If you can see the rack you might sleep better too! ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:38 am

Hopefully he just has not gotten back to you... But, I will say this, a lot of thought goes into picking a taxidermist. I would not buy steaks sold out of a guys basement, and I would make sure I was working with a well known reputable taxidermist. I am working with Jay Trudell, and trust him so much that he has my entire collection hanging there. When I call him he either answers or gets back to me shortly.
Choose your taxidermist wisely. Price should be one of the last things considered.
MattyG

Unread postby MattyG » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:45 am

Its the start of elk in colorado and bear season around here. when i am in colorado im gone for 2 weeks and i have no phone till i get out of the mountins we are in.

the bow season for elk in colorado is AUG 31- SEPT 29 this year and i know if i had my oun business i would be hunting till i was taged out.

hope you get a hold of him!!!
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:00 am

My grandpa had a rack that he got when he was ten years old in the 1940's from a hunter who brought this buck in to be butchered. (His father owned a butcher shop) This was a perfect clean ten point that scored 160 with a dark chocolate rack and the biggest buck my grandpa had ever seen. My grandpa asked him how he wanted it caped assuming the guy wanted to mount it or something. The guy says "i could care less about the horns you can have them" my grandpa was in shock and had kept those antlers up till a few years ago when he decided to get it head mounted because of the sentamental value of them. He took them in to a taxi and put down money. Six months later the taxi calls him and tells my grandpa he cant find the antlers. Someone either stole them out of his studio or the taxi sold them. We have never seen those antlers since.

Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:15 am

I guess we'll see what happens...all you guys have me worried now! :?
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:57 am

My dad ran into the exact situation. The guy would hide in his house whenever we came over to find him. It was a really nice buck. My dad had a lawyer send the man a letter and his head was done and back lickity-split. ;)
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:08 pm

I can't believe people wait up to 2 years for a mount?

Good luck in your "hunt" czabs

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Perhaps a good taxidermist recommendation thread is in order. :lol:

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:50 pm

muddy wrote:I can't believe people wait up to 2 years for a mount?

Yeah no kidding, that's crazy waiting that long. My taxidermist has my mount back in 3 months tops. He tans his own capes so that cuts the time way down. He does awesome work for a reasonable price. Sure is nice getting a buck back while the hunt is still fresh in your mind.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Dewey wrote:
muddy wrote:I can't believe people wait up to 2 years for a mount?

Yeah no kidding, that's crazy waiting that long. My taxidermist has my mount back in 3 months tops. He tans his own capes so that cuts the time way down. He does awesome work for a reasonable price. Sure is nice getting a buck back while the hunt is still fresh in your mind.

Wow. That is REALLY fast. I've been researching a new taxidermist after relocating to Merrill, WI this year. PM me if you have a recommendation.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”