my dads best buck

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: my dads best buck

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:54 pm

After basic mouth, ear, and eye setting we sewed the cape up on the top of the head. As it tightened up we had to tuck the glue, epoxy, and other materials under the cape and sew a little more. Tuck and sew, tuck and sew, and finally epoxy the last bit and finish the stitch. There was a special 2 part clay epoxy up around the antlers I forgot to mention, it was important to get it tucked in nicely. Then the stitching down the back took place and he showed me how to stitch so you'd never see or feel the stitchings. This isn't a big deal to most people but Brian was pretty anal about his work. As I stated before, he'd rather do 30 master work mounts over 100 good mounts. He doesn't do this for a living, he does it for a fun hobby and like any hobby he doesn't halfassed it. Once all the stitching was done we combed and smoothed stuff out. If there was a glue pocket we hand smoothed it around. If there was an air pocket we used a syringe to suck it out, while at the same time pushing excess glue into that area. It was pretty neat at this point because the mount all of a sudden "popped".

The saran wrap in the nose is to help hold the nose membranes in place while it dries. Brian said that the glue takes awhile to set up and this is where a lot of guys mess their mounts up. He likes to get everything in basic and then tweek stuff day to day as the glue sets up and starts to hold. We pushed some folds into the shoulder at this point as well, which makes me happy as I really like that aspect.

Anyway, start to finish was about 3 hours, but a hour of that was him babbling to me and me babbling back. There's a lot of work to be done yet and I'll try to keep this thread updated. It's sad to say, but I have finished mounts that don't look as good as this one does after 3 hours.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Tonight we finished the eye work up for the most part, everything is tucked in and drying nicely. The ears are finishing nicely as well. Not a whole lot to add other than Brian is REALLY excited about how this is turning out. So excited that most of the words he used won't print on the Beast. Also re-formed the shoulder wrinkles into a more realistic pose. Sorry, his phone camera lens is all scratched so the pictures look like azz.

PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Looks great this is a very neat thread!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:46 am

PredatorTC wrote:Looks great this is a very neat thread!

X2 Thanks for posting Mud!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bb70

Unread postby bb70 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:31 am

Love the idea and what it will mean to you forever. The mount rocks!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:41 pm

So basically last night and the next several days we'll be monitoring to see if any glue/air pockets get out of place. Also be back brushing against the grain on the hair to fluff him up, then gently brush it back. This gives the deer a not so "I just came out of the shower or rain" look and makes him look much more natural. Hard to see it in the pics but when we did one side of the face vs the other it was visually noticeable. Also I took each individual eyelash and mouth hair that was longer and blacker and pulled them up and out so they looked realistic. Deer use those hairs to "feel" their way thru the brush and it's important to get them tweeked out. The eyes are setting up VERY nicely but still have some drying/finishing to do. All in all things are going better than we anticipated. The shoulder wrinkles we also moved to the appropriate place.

A funny side note, this guy ISN'T my usual taxidermist. Through a website private "group" we met and eventually found out we lived literally 3/4 of a mile apart. After Dad died it hit him really hard mentally and he offered this opportunity up. Through this we've become great friends. Now what sucks is he closed on a house/property last night and is moving in September, but fortunately not too far and also he now has an outbuilding where he will have all the room he needs to work on deer heads and we're already setting up a time this winter for me to come down and work on "Slingshot" and another buck. Right now I'm really into this and hopefully it works out.

Pics.

The full monty. I thought it very realistic to see how the head is turned and the white patch does not match up perfectly under the jaw/head, just like how a real deer would look. B said that a lot of taxis don't pay attention to "real life" detail like that and just get it all centered up and make it look right to the human eye instead of how mother nature would have it look.

He's gunna look big on the wall... or a floor pedestal.

cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:50 am

Looking good muddy! The eyes turned out very nice.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:46 am

So it's been a couple weeks and everything is dried up nicely. My buddy is still very sure he wants to use this as his competition piece this year so we're pulling out all the stops and finishing up. Last night we we tucked epoxy into the eye socket gaps to seal them up properly so they look realistic, tucked epoxy into the mouth so it is sealed perfectly with a nice line, and then put epoxy on for the nictating eye membranes. All of this took a ball of epoxy about the size of a gum drop, so it's getting down to the fine detail.

We had to pull a pin out of the eye membrane that was holding everything in place and that was the first thing sealed. It went perfectly on both eyes. Then we made a fine "worm" of epoxy and tucked the bottom lid, moved to the upper lid, then did the eye corner, then the nictating membrane. Same thing other side. Not much really going on, it took about half a hour to do all this. We used a little laquor thinner to smooth it all out and we were really happy that the natural color of the eyes is looking good on the hide in the corner of the eye.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:51 am

We also started very quick coloring of the antlers but ran out of time so only did the right antler between the sticker mark and the burr. Only one coat, it's hard to see really. It will take 8-10 applications to get back to snuff.

Before

After

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:53 am

Today I took a few pics of everything after it has dried. We need to re-epoxy a little bit then we will hand paint the epoxy around the eyes to match, same around the mouth and nose. Then all that's left is coloring the antlers.

Pics make this mount look pretty darn sweet, but you have to believe me it is WAY better looking in person. Everything about this cape is pretty much perfect.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:18 am

Lookin great Muddy, can't wait to see the finished product.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:35 am

Very cool thread. Love the time lapse threads.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:54 am

awesome muddy
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:36 pm

:handgestures-thumbup:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:30 pm

Is B going to like the competition when you open your own shop?

Nice work!

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”