replacing antler set from a mount

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vwj

replacing antler set from a mount

Unread postby vwj » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:52 am

is it possible taking off an antler from a white tailed deer mount and replacing it with a new one? I know it may cause some damage but is it possible to do it with minimal damage?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: replacing antler set from a mount

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:15 am

I would think it would be much easier to buy a new cape and mount the rack from start to finish... Hopefully the expert "Mountain man" will chime in from his perspective.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:42 am

vwj wrote:is it possible taking off an antler from a white tailed deer mount and replacing it with a new one? I know it may cause some damage but is it possible to do it with minimal damage?

Yes, it can be done. Depending on the skill level of the person doing the work, the outcome can range from totally undetectable to some visible damage.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
vwj wrote:is it possible taking off an antler from a white tailed deer mount and replacing it with a new one? I know it may cause some damage but is it possible to do it with minimal damage?

Yes, it can be done. Depending on the skill level of the person doing the work, the outcome can range from totally undetectable to some visible damage.

I got a good one bowhunting this year Im getting mounted but by the time I found him his cape was chewed up. I am using an 8 pointer I shot in gun season for the cape. The taxi said the antlers match up well. However is it noticeable when a taxi puts diff antlers on a cape? Or does it usually look unoticeable? I hope you know what I mean. Im not really sure how its done.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:47 pm

I would get another cape.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:45 am

I too would get another cape...BHB, you can use a different cape and it will not be noticable. of course if you use a cape from a 1 1/2 year old buck, it would look funny putting antlers of a 5 year old stud on it because the mold for the head would have to be small so the cape would fit.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:45 am

He did get another cape, read his post. He worded the subject and first post poorly.

No it won't be noticeable.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:39 am

If your getting a new cape from a similar age buck, it should not be noticeable.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:20 am

It seems there are two questions here now.

For the OP, yes you can take a completed mount, remove the antlers and put new antlers on it. The top of the head would have to be rehydrated, the stitches cut, and the skull cap/antlers removed. Then the new rack and skull plate would be attached to the manikin, some clay may be needed to fill in any gaps around the new skull plate to match the old mount, then sew up the incision(s) where the stitches were cut.

The second question is can you use a replacement cape? Yes you can, and all the taxidermist does is use the replacement cape to mount your deer. When doing this, the cape should be roughly the same size as the deer you shot and from a deer of the same age you shot. In most cases the cape should fit around the burrs without any problems but sometimes a little trimming of skin around the burrs or grinding of pedicle bone under the burr might be needed. When done you shouldn’t be able to tell a replacement cape was used.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:52 am

Yeah I did word it kind of weird looking at it...

Anyways the buck Im getting mounted with a bad cape is a 3 or 4 yr old and the buck that Im going to use its cape is 3 yr old IMO. Antler sizes are different though. 141 inches compared to about 80 inches or so. Taxi said he could do it though and I trust him for the most part. Like you guys said...hope there its not a big deal and I wont be able to tell. Thanks.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:02 am

ttt

How did this turn out? I shot a 120" 10pt years ago and wanna replace the rack with a 137"er. Instead of having a whole new mount done I'd rather swap if I could get it done for $100-200!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:04 am

I've had that done. First buck I ever shot was a 122 inch buck and being my fist I had it mounted. A few years ago I shot a 134 inch 8 point and had them changed out. Turned out good in my opinion.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:09 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:I've had that done. First buck I ever shot was a 122 inch buck and being my fist I had it mounted. A few years ago I shot a 134 inch 8 point and had them changed out. Turned out good in my opinion.

If you don't mind posting what did your Taxi charge?

My taxi said it would be no problem... I just don't know what he is gonna want for $$$
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
mkuf79
Facebook: matthew.kufahl.5

Unread postby mkuf79 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:29 am

I'm having a rack swapped out right now and he's charging me $50. I did the same thing last year and it turned out good. It's better than paying $500 for a new mount.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:31 am

mkuf79 wrote:I'm having a rack swapped out right now and he's charging me $50. I did the same thing last year and it turned out good. It's better than paying $500 for a new mount.

Exactly! 8-)

I hope he says $50! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”