Got my mount back yesterday.

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Re: Got my mount back yesterday.

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 am

I think the mount looks pretty good myself. I would be happy getting it back.

When you say fat faced...are you refering to where his cheeks looks puffy a little?

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:44 am

I used to hang out with Jerry in high school, he was a year or two behind me, his wife and I were pretty good friends and in the same class. We're almost related to be honest, we're cousins to the same cousins or something like that.

Small world.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:55 am

backstraps wrote:I think the mount looks pretty good myself. I would be happy getting it back.

When you say fat faced...are you refering to where his cheeks looks puffy a little?

I posted the better angle because he looks pretty fat nosed from the front. It's not so noticeable until you see it next to another mount. Like I said my friends mounts came out super nice for sure. It is not real bad but some mounts just don't come out as nice.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:56 am

muddy wrote:I used to hang out with Jerry in high school, he was a year or two behind me, his wife and I were pretty good friends and in the same class. We're almost related to be honest, we're cousins to the same cousins or something like that.

Small world.

Yeah Jerry is a great guy that is for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:30 am

It looks like that might be the newer McKenzie 6900 semi-sneak.

I haven't mounted a deer on that form but they are supposedly the latest and greatest from McKenzie. Since I haven't seen one first hand all I can do is speculate that with this new model (sculpted by Dennis Behn) they widened the muzzle and nose to be more realistic. It's a fact that many of their other forms (the McKenzie line also sculpted by Dennis Behn) have muzzles and noses that are too narrow. If Stanley has had other deer mounted on McKenzie's that would explain a wider muzzle and nose on this deer compared to past McKenzie forms. The narrow muzzles and noses on McKenzie forms are one of the reasons why when I mount my personal deer on a McKenzie form I cut the head off and put on a head that has a more normal size nose and muzzle (like a head from the Matuska Competitors Choice line of manikins). For commercial work it's probably not worth the time and effort to change heads but some taxidermists will make a vertical cut through the nose and muzzle and push a shim in there to make it a little wider. That only takes a couple miutes to do and I've done that before on deer to make them look better at least IMO.

Stanley - I like the way the muzzle and nose look on this mount.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:38 am

Mountain Man wrote:It looks like that might be the newer McKenzie 6900 semi-sneak.

I haven't mounted a deer on that form but they are supposedly the latest and greatest from McKenzie. Since I haven't seen one first hand all I can do is speculate that with this new model (sculpted by Dennis Behn) they widened the muzzle and nose to be more realistic. It's a fact that many of their other forms (the McKenzie line also sculpted by Dennis Behn) have muzzles and noses that are too narrow. If Stanley has had other deer mounted on McKenzie's that would explain a wider muzzle and nose on this deer compared to past McKenzie forms. The narrow muzzles and noses on McKenzie forms are one of the reasons why when I mount my personal deer on a McKenzie form I cut the head off and put on a head that has a more normal size nose and muzzle (like a head from the Matuska Competitors Choice line of manikins). For commercial work it's probably not worth the time and effort to change heads but some taxidermists will make a vertical cut through the nose and muzzle and push a shim in there to make it a little wider. That only takes a couple miutes to do and I've done that before on deer to make them look better at least IMO.

Stanley - I like the way the muzzle and nose look on this mount.

It's been almost a year since I talked to the guy about the form. I do remember he said it was new for 2011. You are correct I am used to the more narrow muzzle. This form has the flared nostrils if you look closely. It may grow on me.
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:12 am

Looks good to me!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:50 pm

Nice buck Stanley. Mount looks good to me.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:41 am

You are a buck killn machine
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:49 am

Looks good Stanley!

• Advertisement