full body Turkey

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

full body Turkey

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:52 am

Mountain man did this for deer, but I was thinking about getting a full body turkey mount done with one of my Turkeys this year. What can I expect to pay for a quality mount. I am thinking of doing it standing on a limb gobbeling, as I think it will take up less room than a full strut. Does this affect the price, is it cheaper to do it standing than full strut? Thanks.

Mountain Man
500 Club

Re: full body Turkey

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:27 am

Black Squirrel wrote:Mountain man did this for deer, but I was thinking about getting a full body turkey mount done with one of my Turkeys this year. What can I expect to pay for a quality mount. I am thinking of doing it standing on a limb gobbeling, as I think it will take up less room than a full strut. Does this affect the price, is it cheaper to do it standing than full strut? Thanks.

Some taxis will charge the same for a standing, strutting, or gobbling on a limb mount and others will have different prices for each pose. Standing would probably be cheaper than strutting. You will need to contact several taxis to find out what they charge.

For a nice full body turkey mount you could spend anywhere from about $600-$800. You will also find some that will do it for less than that and some that might be more.

Just make sure you check out their work before dropping off the bird.

I would also ask if they use freeze dried heads or artificial. The freeze dried heads will have the little feathers on the head where the artificial ones won't unless they get glued back on which is time-consuming. Some people don't care about the little feathers on the heads but IMO they do look more realistic since that is what the live bird actually has on it's head. If you go with a freeze dried head ask to see some examples b/c while some freeze dried heads look great some can also look awful. Just be sure to do your homework so you know what you are getting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: full body Turkey

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:22 am

A mount is a piece of art... I would worry more about quality, and less about price. Take Mountain mans advice and really look at the work...
As far as the going rate??? I have never had one mounted...

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”