Kids taxidermy

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Kids taxidermy

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:34 pm

My Son, Jesse wants to mount a squirrel he shot this past fall. Any thoughts on how to get him started. I was thinking of buyng him a kit that has all the supplies. Has anyone done this before? Are the instructions adequate?

BigHunt

Re: Kids taxidermy

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Black Squirrel wrote:My Son, Jesse wants to mount a squirrel he shot this past fall. Any thoughts on how to get him started. I was thinking of buyng him a kit that has all the supplies. Has anyone done this before? Are the instructions adequate?

cabelas squirrel mounting kit like 40 bucks ...it comes with all the basic needs for the mount , you can get a climbing the tree pose or a sitting eating a nut pose 8-) comes with eyes, clay , instant preserve, plaster , ect.....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:13 pm

I recommend getting a kit from Van Dykes or WASCO. Van Dykes has a climbing or sitting squirrel kit for about $27 however it only comes in one size and that is 11.25" from tip of nose to base of tail and 7.5" circumference around the belly. With the WASCO kit you get to pick the manikin you want so you can get a manikin to fit the size of your squirrel. The WASCO kit is about $27 plus the manikin is about $20 so you're looking at $47 before tax and shipping. The kits use dry preservative instead of tanning. The instructions are good enough to get it mounted. The first thing I ever mounted was a fox squirrel and I used the WASCO kit. I would say get a kit for him and let him try it.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:59 pm

Thanks guys!

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”