Would you mount this buck?

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Would you mount this buck?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:53 am

Dewey wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Dewey wrote:Heck yeah you should mount it. I shoulder mounted by first decent buck even though he was barely 90”. That hunt was a great memory and I’m reminded by it every single time I look at it on the wall. Never regretted that decision for a second.

Same, and about the same size. Only buck to date. And I'm stoked every time I look at him, which is usually at least once a day because he's in my office :lol:

My first shoulder mount from about 25 years ago. Still holding up pretty good.

Taxidermist said he was a 1 year old. Late September kill and dressed out at 140 lbs. Can you imagine what he would have looked like at 3 or 4? :o

Yeah, the width is pretty crazy at 1 year old. He might have out-Rompola'd Rompola :lol:

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:21 am

Mount it !!
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:05 am

I’m mounting the 4 yo 8 I shot on public land this year, on Halloween. It’s been a dream of mine to kill one on Halloween, let alone public land. He’s no more than 125” for NW WI.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:32 am

Dewey wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Dewey wrote:Heck yeah you should mount it. I shoulder mounted by first decent buck even though he was barely 90”. That hunt was a great memory and I’m reminded by it every single time I look at it on the wall. Never regretted that decision for a second.

Same, and about the same size. Only buck to date. And I'm stoked every time I look at him, which is usually at least once a day because he's in my office :lol:

Taxidermist said he was a 1 year old. Late September kill and dressed out at 140 lbs. Can you imagine what he would have looked like at 3 or 4? :o

That’s crazy! Impressive 1 yr old rack.

We got 1 yr old bucks here in the up that you need an antlerless tag to shoot. Because they don’t have a 3” horn on their head!
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:00 pm

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:
Dewey wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

That’s crazy! Impressive 1 yr old rack.

We got 1 yr old bucks here in the up that you need an antlerless tag to shoot. Because they don’t have a 3” horn on their head!

I know. I’ve killed quite a few of those in northern WI and the UP over the years. :lol:
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:28 am

I’ve never mounted a single buck i’ve ever shot. Only diy skull caps on plaques per family tradition handed down from my gramps. I do have one Euro that i did like 6 years ago that turned out pretty cool.

And i say mount that thing! Gotta do it your way when it comes to hunting. You earned it so you gotta honor it in a way that you’ll be happy with.

I think its a beautiful buck.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:22 pm

I wouldn't mount it,, BUT let me explain. I am a photographer and take several pictures and blow it up to a 20x30 or something. This gives you the background and you in the picture. It will also save you enough money to buy a new gun!! . I am very very cheap however, but I do have a camera , when it was new cost $6,000, so , I may be a little different. I got the camera used for $1,000 plus $200 for the lense , so I am more likely to take a bunch of pictures and just hang the rack next to the 20"x30" blow up pic with a wooden frame that has weathered wood .
Nick grider

Unread postby Nick grider » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:55 pm

I prefer a euro mount over a shoulder mount myself. I’d definitely be euro mounting him.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:23 pm

Lockdown wrote:If you “kind of” want to mount him, I’d do it. I have 2 bucks shoulder mounted that I went back and forth on. I mounted them and don’t regret it.

I also have a few that I went back and forth on, did euro’s… and now wish I would have just ponied up the cash.

100%
How bad do you want it?

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”