Complaints about the show / constructive critisism..

• Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Complaints about the show / constructive critisism..

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:19 am

Me, Andrae, Chad, and other Pro staffers discussed in depth what format would be best for the show... I went over old posts about whats wrong with todays shows, what could be better etc... Most recently I put a post up as we tried to work out a plan and asked everybody what they wanted to see... Ranging from starting Whitetail Addictions back up, to just having me, and Andrea, lecture on tactical approaches to hunting...
The response sounded to me that the most likely way to please everyone would be to mix the BEAST style of tactics with a kill each show and kind of mix the two shows...
Basically, now that the show is done, I new some people would not like certain aspects, but the point was not to please everyone, but rather most people....
I have been watching TV a little and it seems to me that todays shows are more about fancy editing than the actual content... I really could care less if the screen bursts into flames or has animated charactors selling products at the bottom of the screen.... To me, its the content and subject matter that matters... Throw in a hunt and you got something...
I believe this is what most of you want... Nothing fancy, just straight to the point.
We got some complaints about wind noise... We are working on that. And it looks like a supporter of the beast is going to donate some wireless mic's and boom mic's... However, I don't think at any point in the show does the wind noise distract from the content or subject matter, and therefore really should not be much of a concern.
Shot hitting the deer a little back... Sorry for those who think thats terrible to show, but the truth is crap like that happens, and when you hide it from the public and don't show them how to deal with the after effects and tracking you rob them when it happens to them and they track to fast or incorrectly... I just can't stand it when a hunter on TV makes a bad hit and claims he hit it perfect and hopes no one was watching close... Do your best, be honest, and learn from the mistakes. Thats the message we are trying to get across.
For every one of you who thought the tracking was too long, there are those who learned a thing or two also...
A lot of hunters really dwell on learning to get in the right spot but don't worry about the tracking portion until after the shot... I think we cut the tracking job down to about perfect length... Explain the timing of the tracking (next morning) Show the arrow, explain how the sign tells you what the hit was, show where the buck watched to see if he was tracked, and the recovery... All of which I think were good points that should be made.

Bottom line is, we can't please everyone, but we can work on the majority, and hold our ground that this show is not about
the kill, its about the path you take to get there...

Zap

Re: Complaints about the show / constructive critisism..

Unread postby Zap » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:34 am

Good post, hold the line....... :D
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:43 am

I hear ya..

The shot on the deer absolutely happens in real life, and I think it was right that you not only showed it, but acknowledged that it was a little far back and told what to do next. Like you mentioned, alot of shows on TV wouldve said that was a great hit, and then acted like they were down and tracking the thing a half hour later..IMO, that doesnt teach very much..

I can also say that I definitely learned a thing or two during the tracking job. When you talked about how the deer laid down behind the rock for a a little bit to watch his back-trail..that was good stuff, and I wouldve never thought of that..

I look forward to watching more shows, and I definitely think the content is great! Like I mentioned somewhere else - its kinda like small educational clips like the Marsh Bucks or Hill Country DVDs, with a hunt showing how well it worked added to it. I really think the split content like that is exactly what most people want to see..
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:52 am

Dan I think the concept is outstanding.

"For every one of you who thought the tracking was too long, there are those who learned a thing or two also..."

For me, I didnt feel the tracking was to long. I just couldnt watch it b/c it made me sea sick. :mrgreen: More attention to steadiness needs to be paid if you plan on using an extended clips like that IMO. In real hunting situation it is damn hard to self film, narrate and focus on what the viewer will see all at once. Overall it was good I thought.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:55 am

Dor wrote:Dan I think the concept is outstanding.

"For every one of you who thought the tracking was too long, there are those who learned a thing or two also..."

For me, I didnt feel the tracking was to long. I just couldnt watch it b/c it made me sea sick. :mrgreen: More attention to steadiness needs to be paid if you plan on using an extended clips like that IMO. In real hunting situation it is damn hard to self film, narrate and focus on what the viewer will see all at once. Overall it was good I thought.

Same here on the tracking. I thought the length was ok but the camera swirling around made me dizzy.

But the way I look at it, it's what happens in the field,it wasn't staged with the camera out in front watching him walk up and fake track etc. I'm sure when other people do their self filmed hunts to go on the show there's always gonna be something to critique...Without a professional camera man and script it's going to be real and raw the way it should be. The main thing is the teaching part because there are guys who watch and never hunted or this will be their first year all the way up to experienced hunters. What seems like common sense to some is a eye opening experience for others. All in all I thought it was cutting edge as far as a hunting show is concerned because most shows have fluff and this was fluff free. Refreshing to actually not watch a bunch of endorsed products.

The only critique I would give would be the ending where Dan said something and they had to beep it out because it wasn't airable to the public if kids were watching.

For the first show I thought it was great and each show is only going to get better as everything develops. Just remember they are in the beginning stages and Dan is open to honest critiques to make this show better. I think he's shown that by posting the posts he did about the show and asking about it.

Great idea to do a show like this.
ah110

Unread postby ah110 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:12 am

i really liked the tracking. its a fundamental part of the hunt that gets cut down (on TV hunts) to the hunter running up to the game. TV and dvd hunts also have no shots of the inspection of the arrow, blood trail, distance, etc.

i enjoyed and learned more from that single webisode than any TV hunt ive ever watched.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:48 am

I wouldn't change a thing about the content what so ever. If someone has a problem with you hitting the deer there, they are wack. IT HAPPENS. The ONLY thing I wouldn't mind seeing a change is the quality of the footage and audio. Don't get me wrong I had no trouble understanding the content in the video but it makes it a little easier to watch in my eyes.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:00 am

JRM6868 wrote:
Dor wrote:Dan I think the concept is outstanding.

Same here on the tracking. I thought the length was ok but the camera swirling around made me dizzy.

But the way I look at it, it's what happens in the field,it wasn't staged with the camera out in front watching him walk up and fake track etc. I'm sure when other people do their self filmed hunts to go on the show there's always gonna be something to critique...Without a professional camera man and script it's going to be real and raw the way it should be. The main thing is the teaching part because there are guys who watch and never hunted or this will be their first year all the way up to experienced hunters. What seems like common sense to some is a eye opening experience for others. All in all I thought it was cutting edge as far as a hunting show is concerned because most shows have fluff and this was fluff free. Refreshing to actually not watch a bunch of endorsed products.

The only critique I would give would be the ending where Dan said something and they had to beep it out because it wasn't airable to the public if kids were watching.

For the first show I thought it was great and each show is only going to get better as everything develops. Just remember they are in the beginning stages and Dan is open to honest critiques to make this show better. I think he's shown that by posting the posts he did about the show and asking about it.

Great idea to do a show like this.

x3

I also don't like hearing beeps and bleeps to cover up a swear word. When I'm watching with my kids in the future I don't want them hearing that stuff. The flip side of that is hearing he words "flipping, frigging, etc".

I thought it was very good, I liked the simplicity of it and am anxious to see more.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:16 am

I also don't like hearing beeps and bleeps to cover up a swear word. When I'm watching with my kids in the future I don't want them hearing that stuff. The flip side of that is hearing he words "flipping, frigging, etc".

Agreed... I did not even know I said that till Chad caught it.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:18 am

Your not going to make evryone happy all the time.....you know that and also know you will hear constructed critisism even if you are the top rated show on TV. Just the way it is.

I loved the content but as mentioned before more hands on, showing the video of the set-ups/beds etc is what I prefer.

I think Chad did a good job editing, no problems there, but wouldn't mine seeing more than half the show just Dan/Host talking with video of why we are even hunting here. The kill is just icing on the cake.

No problems with the tracking, it was real.......sea sick shaky, but real. ;)

Keep it up.....is it Sept 1st yet?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:42 am

I liked the show just the way it was but it wouldn't hurt to have more details about scouting the spot before you hunted it. Like I said in a different post, maybe show some spring scouting where you show the buck beds and explain why they bed there in certain conditions.

As far as worrying about the shot being back a little, that is reality and it was great that you taught exactly what to do in that situation. Waiting to track that deer is really hard for some to do but you taught a very important lesson there by finding the deer in the water after being hit in the liver.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:30 am

My take on the show is Don't change a thing. Give a thristy man a glass of water and then he complains about the cup you serve it to him in, that's not right.
I could care less about,camera angles,wind noise,camera steadiness,a few swears,theme songs. If you want a blemish free hunting video than order one from Cabelas for $19.95. Good luck learning anything . I.ll take a real hunt any day over that.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:59 am

I thought the show was great. Ive said that before in other threads. As long as guys are watching it to learn then they shouldn't have a problem with it not being filmed with the best equipment, or noises and what not. I think Dan has a good following on here that like to learn, and also like the open door they have with a hunter that is somewhat nationaly know. If there is enough of those guys across the country I think you will get alot of veiws, if your looking for a sponsership from companies that can really push their products, while people watch, it has to be cleaner. If your looking to get on one of the hunting channels, it has to be shot in HD, and as much as most dont like to hear it sponsers have to pay, those slots are very expensive (0n the channels). Dan will not be able to run the show on his own bill, he will need big money companies to help foot those slots. The channels have some hd upgrades they can help with, but they also have their own set of rules that the show needs to follow, their editors will look over anything that is going to be on their channel. That is where a super clean look and different angles will be looked at as a plus. So I think the ball is in court of the editor Chad, Dan the owner, and their advisory staff on where they want it to go. Like I said I will be watching one way or the other, I like it.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:19 am

I liked the show as it was. It was certainly "real life" footage. That is what I want to see. Not a perfect everything. (sound/shot/camera view etc)I would have like to see a bit more about how you scouted it like some others. but in no way is this a negative critique. I loved it and cannot wait for more. As far as the tracking portion...well I think I personally enjoy that part of hunting as much as shooting one. Keep it up guys, this s**t is killer!
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:59 pm

I really enjoyed watching it. I think the content was great, but I personally would like to see better quality video and audio. I'm not saying you need to stage shots or be all fancy, but some creativity with the camera wouldn't hurt. I also wasn't a huge fan of the music in the intro. That being said, I can't wait for the next one. I hope we get to see some of those booners Andrea has passed with his bow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”