dan jr wrote:

Vimeo compresses the videdos.

the original video of episode 3 is:
1920x1080 ,3.70 GB

and vimeo changes it to
352x240, 304.55MB

that is a differance of almost 550%

exactly, so the quality depleates 550%.

you should have the option to upload it in different compressions. same with youtube.

grfox and i uploaded all our videos in HD. I think i only compressed it 5% from the original just to save some time.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://vimeo.com/28180145[/bbvideo]

I would only get the higher quality if we pay. We don't have enough episodes out to be worth paying. I am only able to upload 500 mb per week and they compress it to what they want. I keep all originals in blu ray quality.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image

Ted Nugent wrote:Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians--except for the occasional mountain lion steak.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli a lot more fun to hunt!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Episode 3

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:33 pm

Dan, Dan, Dan..... you HAD to have me running like a little girl at the end huh? Thanks for sharing the hunt, good info.

I told Danny to make sure he had that part in there! :lol:
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:29 am

dan wrote:Just thought I would use this hunt to point out what I call a "safe zone" This is the area around the bucks bed where he feels comfortable moving in daylight. Its the area where the buck feels he would know if it was penetrated. He would think he would hear, smell, or see a predator if it got into this zone...
Before anybody goes haywire, The lines are obviously a guess and are approximate... and I should of probably included the area behind his bed, but I don't believe the buck travels that way, so its a mute point. Staging should be at the edge of the safe zone.
Safe zone is basically where I expect a mature buck to move in daylight. My evening set up would be right on the edge of the safe zone, where it meets staging...
A younger buck might get farther. The buck in the video was moving early enough that he may have made it to the corn field in shooting light... Safe zone size will expand on certain weather conditions, or moon phases... Make sense?

This is odd because this goes totally against what you described as the staging area of a buck in your videos and some posts I've read on this site. Now what you describe as a safe zone was a staging area in your video etc. So basically what you call a staging area is what 100% of the media refer to it as. A zone [glow=red]outside[/glow] the bedding area where deer sit before they go eat. Just sayin..
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:10 am

Jack, I don't know what you misunderstood in anything I have previously done. But thiat image discribes what I have always considered a staging area... And... I personally have never seen mainstream guys refer to staging in this mannor.
They always want to put staging away from bedding at the edge of a food source or opening. For mature bucks, I believe they stage within the safe zone which is usually a very small area. You could toss a rock from the bucks bed to the area I have maked as staging. The bucks bed was in bow range from my tree.... Not for me, but some people effectivly can shoot 55 yards. Staging is not as solid as it is portrayed either... Bucks don't always stop and wait, more often its just the point where they go from daylight to darkness.
If your telling me, others are saying staging can be only 60 yards from the bucks bed, I have not seen that.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:12 am

jack_4mn wrote:This is odd because this goes totally against what you described as the staging area of a buck in your videos and some posts I've read on this site. Now what you describe as a safe zone was a staging area in your video etc. So basically what you call a staging area is what 100% of the media refer to it as. A zone [glow=red]outside[/glow] the bedding area where deer sit before they go eat. Just sayin..

The difference lies in the details. This is just one instance where a buck happened to be bedded close to the food source. Most media outlets call the staging area just inside the edge of a field. Dan calls the staging area roughly 200 yards regardless of typography
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:32 am

The difference lies in the details. This is just one instance where a buck happened to be bedded close to the food source. Most media outlets call the staging area just inside the edge of a field. Dan calls the staging area roughly 200 yards regardless of typography

Correct... And often closer than 200 yards like in this instance.
I do not believe mature buck staging has anything to do with how close the food source is.

A zone outside the bedding area where deer sit before they go eat.

If the staging area was the same thing as the bedding area, we would call them both the same thing.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:26 am

dan wrote:
Anyways, the area I had in mind is exactly like you said with the does bedded in the treeline where I would hunt out of. With that in mind would you have approached this stand in Episode 3 differently if there were doe beds close by?

Most of the time the does bedded further down in this spot.

I may choose to sit farther back, or a different rought if I am worried about bumping does...
But sometimes, you have one option. If I am worried about a doe being bedded near a buck bed where I want to hunt and there are no other options, I go in early. Most of the time the doe sneaking out, or even running off will not make the buck jump ship on his bed. He will just get very alert as to what is going on around him. So it may take waiting for the area to calm down before setting up, and it may take being at the tree early enough that the buck has time to forget about the incidence.

Great explaination Dan. Much appreciated.
ah110

Unread postby ah110 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:01 am

dan jr wrote:
ah110 wrote:
dan jr wrote:

Vimeo compresses the videdos.

the original video of episode 3 is:
1920x1080 ,3.70 GB

and vimeo changes it to
352x240, 304.55MB

that is a differance of almost 550%

exactly, so the quality depleates 550%.

you should have the option to upload it in different compressions. same with youtube.

grfox and i uploaded all our videos in HD. I think i only compressed it 5% from the original just to save some time.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://vimeo.com/28180145[/bbvideo]

I would only get the higher quality if we pay. We don't have enough episodes out to be worth paying. I am only able to upload 500 mb per week and they compress it to what they want. I keep all originals in blu ray quality.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image

hmm...i never paid a cent to upload on youtube or vimeo. just trying to help because i initially thought it was just an online series.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:53 am

dan wrote:
Dan, Dan, Dan..... you HAD to have me running like a little girl at the end huh? Thanks for sharing the hunt, good info.

I told Danny to make sure he had that part in there! :lol:

Thhhhaaaannnnnkkkkssss, not exactly how I envisioned myself getting on the internet. To my defense, that pig was eyeing me up! :lol:
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Great vid- loved the cradle to grave coverage...and that bed footage was sweet and the lost result does keep it feeling real

So whats the deal with the pigs? Are they are wild in Wisconsin? Was that one guy running for Barbeque sauce?

great stuff- keep em coming
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:32 am

So whats the deal with the pigs? Are they are wild in Wisconsin? Was that one guy running for Barbeque sauce?

The end of each show has an animal adventure. The pig roping was filmed in a 400 acre enclosure where a group from the Beast went on a trip called Pig fest and shot wild boars with our bows for our pork supply.
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:51 am

Great show like always Dan! Thanks for keeping it real and letting us into how you hunt and get close to big bucks. I learned quite a bit just from this video and can't wait to use what I have learned.

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”