who's running trap lines?

• Advertisement

HB Store

Outdoor814
500 Club

who's running trap lines?

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 am

I haven't trapped for a few years now and I'm thinking about getting back into it. If I did I would probably only target fox,coyote,and beaver. Market seems to be pretty poor the last few years.

Any Beasts out there catchen fur? If you are how's your season been?

Joe™
Chance

Re: who's running trap lines?

Unread postby Chance » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:48 am

I just got into it this year in a serious way this year last year I set maybe a half dozen at a time so this year I ran a line every day after school for about a month usually running about 30 traps and I got 1 fox, 3 skunks, 6 possums, and 20 coons
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:54 am

I wish I could trap. There's just not enough time in the day.
riverrat bbq

Unread postby riverrat bbq » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:58 pm

I got to take by two boys out this year. We went out rat trapping on opening weekend and set about 130 traps. The next day we checked and pulled all traps. Over all we did fairly well, 59 rats with only two kits. The best thing is I got to spend a fun weekend teaching the boys to trap and put up the fur. Weather was great so they really had fun. Lots of snacks, drinks, and learning to be had by all.
One of the boys is really in to it and the other only likes to trap. He is not into skinning to much. We are planning on going for four days next year. I would love to go for a week but they have that thing called school to deal with. lol
chris
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:40 pm

Snared these two last Saturday, or should I say cable restraint. Two less deer killers!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:50 am

I got back to trapping coyotes for the first time last winter in about 10 years. Just a few traps and snares around my own property. I can check them from the window with my binoculars :D

Caught 2 last winter. Set some again this winter and am up to 3 song dogs so far. Plus a few incidental coons. All females so having an effect on the breeders!

Wish I had time for a bit more. Will get the kids involved as they get a bit older. You learn a lot on a trap line!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:29 am

Cool guys!!! Wish Ii was feeling able to try a little late season minking and weaseling.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:27 am

Going to spend a week in Northern Wis. (starting tomorrow) ..taking cable restraints to try and reduce the large coyote pop. around my cabin/ hunting areas. Restraints all prepped and ready to go. I am BRAND new to this and its all learning from here. (Got trapping ed. last Sept).

Any and all suggestions would greatly help. !
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:03 am

stash59 wrote:Cool guys!!! Wish Ii was feeling able to try a little late season minking and weaseling.

Do you use boxes for weasles?
Joe™
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:07 am

Outdoor814 wrote:
stash59 wrote:Cool guys!!! Wish Ii was feeling able to try a little late season minking and weaseling.

Do you use boxes for weasles?

That's the plan but I haven't tried it yet. Watch a few vids on YouTube and it looked fun and not too complicated. Got some traps but need to make the boxes yet. Thinking about using the weasels to make dreamcatchers. To sell to supplement my income. But I just gotta get feeling better first.

Go to Sam Wood Outdoors on YouTube for some good info on weasel trapping. If you need to learn more about it. Lots of coon and mink/muskrat trapping info too.
blueKYstream

Unread postby blueKYstream » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:55 pm

I just started trapping and snaring this year. My main target is coyotes. I've snared more deer (2) than coyotes (1) so far. I only put out 12 snares initially that have been out for a month. I have a week of trapping under my belt. I have caught 1 red fox, 1 skunk and about 15 raccoons on 12 DP's and 12 foot traps covering just under 500 acres. It's been a lot of fun trying to learn how to do it!

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:57 am

blueKYstream wrote:I just started trapping and snaring this year. My main target is coyotes. I've snared more deer (2) than coyotes (1) so far. I only put out 12 snares initially that have been out for a month. I have a week of trapping under my belt. I have caught 1 red fox, 1 skunk and about 15 raccoons on 12 DP's and 12 foot traps covering just under 500 acres. It's been a lot of fun trying to learn how to do it!

Congrats on a successful first season!

Regarding catching deer - there is a learning curve to understand where you should and should not set coyote snares to avoid deer.

One big rule I have learned is do not set fence crossings if there are deer around. Ever. Fawns love to go under fences just like coyotes.

If yotes are using the trail, set it a few feet away from the fence and put a jump stick over it. Deer pretty much always hop over jump sticks, say 18" off the ground no more than that for sure, and yotes always duck under. Gotta use a big enough stick deer see it too.

Maybe you you caught one by the hoof, I don't know - deer stops are a must, required in most states.

Don't worry, after you gain experience you will almost never catch deer in a coyote snare.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:43 am

We can't use snares in WI on dry land. Cable restraints only. They are like a snare, but don't choke an animal. They pull tight when the animal pulls hard against the cable but has a slide so when the animal stops and backs off, the slide loosens and let's the animal breath.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:47 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:We can't use snares in WI on dry land. Cable restraints only. They are like a snare, but don't choke an animal. They pull tight when the animal pulls hard against the cable but has a slide so when the animal stops and backs off, the slide loosens and let's the animal breath.

Where's a good place to buy them? Just want one to look at so I make them correctly.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:31 pm

stash59 wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:We can't use snares in WI on dry land. Cable restraints only. They are like a snare, but don't choke an animal. They pull tight when the animal pulls hard against the cable but has a slide so when the animal stops and backs off, the slide loosens and let's the animal breath.

Where's a good place to buy them? Just want one to look at so I make them correctly.

I don't know. I only have body grip traps and coil springs. I'm not trapping yokes anytime soon. Just Google it. Something will come up for you. I took the trapping course last summer. Only reason I know about cable restraints. The slide looks like a washer that's folded over and has holes drilled in it so it slides on the cable.

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”