mounting a weasel for 400$

• Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

mounting a weasel for 400$

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:18 am

THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!! ..i will never spend that much on just a little o weasel!!! my buddy wants to get a weasel done that he caught this year and he got a quote for no less then 400$ :shock: :shock: :shock: i payed a Little over that for buck head mount. i know most of the bill is for the drift wood but come on....

what do you guys think over paying or not???

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Re: mounting a weasel for 400$

Unread postby Brad » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:21 am

BigHunt wrote:THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!! ..i will never spend that much on just a little o weasel!!! my buddy wants to get a weasel done that he caught this year and he got a quote for no less then 400$ :shock: :shock: :shock: i payed a Little over that for buck head mount. i know most of the bill is for the drift wood but come on....

Drift wood should be less than $20 or $30 bucks (and probably not even that much). That seems super steep unless it is a fancy habitat scene an even then thats way up there.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:39 am

If you ask me, a life size weasel is probably more difficult than a deer head if the guy is going to do a quality job. Might be a little high, but you get what you pay for... Check with Trudell and see what it costs from him with your Beast discount.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:10 am

Seams high.don't want it looking like a tube though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:36 pm

it seems high, but if you want it done right it may be worth it. especially if your not going to have too many weasels done. I'd still shop around.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:27 am

It seems high but if you think about it, its gonna be a lot tougher. Trying to get the right mold and to fit just right.
Shopping around doesnt hurt either. Get a quote from Trudell
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Getting a small animal done right is hard. I've seen a bunch of coons and cats that just don't look right when finished. Something in the face always looks off. I imagine a weasel is just as hard or harder. It's worth it if it looks natural when completed. Definitely look at prior work, and not just deer heads.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:59 pm

I have never been a huge fan of taxidermy. I had a couple of deer mounts done for cheap by a guy just starting. I was happy with the results until they were infected by moths. With that and other experiences, I say the old axiom of "you get what you pay for" probably applies to taxidermy as well.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:52 am

Good taxidermy work would be worth it in my opinion. Is the taxidermist top notch?
utahcharley

Unread postby utahcharley » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:26 am

BigHunt wrote:THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!! ..i will never spend that much on just a little o weasel!!! my buddy wants to get a weasel done that he caught this year and he got a quote for no less then 400$ :shock: :shock: :shock: i payed a Little over that for buck head mount. i know most of the bill is for the drift wood but come on....

I do taxidermy and can tell you that a weasel is harder than a deer head.
The price is not for the material it is more the labor.
A weasel is prolly going to have $100 bucks in material and it will take between 6-12 hours depending on the taxidermist and the type of mount.
So, that guy is going to make about 25-35 bucks an hour, that is not outrageous when he has to pay the bills of being in business. Welders, carpenters, brick masons, plumbers, electricians all make that and more.

Shop around and I would suggest going with a guy who has the best looking full body mammals and not worry about the price, you are only going to save 100 bucks or so. 5 years from now you won't miss that 100 bucks but that weasel will still be staring you in the face!!

BTW the hardest thing I ever mounted was a chipmunk!!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:56 am

utahcharley wrote:

I do taxidermy and can tell you that a weasel is harder than a deer head.
The price is not for the material it is more the labor.
A weasel is prolly going to have $100 bucks in material and it will take between 6-12 hours depending on the taxidermist and the type of mount.
So, that guy is going to make about 25-35 bucks an hour, that is not outrageous when he has to pay the bills of being in business. Welders, carpenters, brick masons, plumbers, electricians all make that and more.

Shop around and I would suggest going with a guy who has the best looking full body mammals and not worry about the price, you are only going to save 100 bucks or so. 5 years from now you won't miss that 100 bucks but that weasel will still be staring you in the face!!

BTW the hardest thing I ever mounted was a chipmunk!!

still outrageous !!!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:56 pm

BigHunt wrote:
still outrageous !!!

Guessing you won't be having a weasel mounted. :lol:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:04 pm

UntouchableNess wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
still outrageous !!!

:lol:
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:25 pm

After overhead and business taxes that probably drops to about $15-$25 an hour. Six hours would be fast I would think. Closer to 10-12 would probably be about right for a quality job that was worth having so he might be making closer to $15 hr.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:53 pm

UntouchableNess wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
still outrageous !!!

;) :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”