Trappers ed.

• Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Trappers ed.

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:47 am

I took the Trappers course at Cabelas this weekend. I learned a lot and looking forward to the season. The instructors were great. It cost only $12. The completion certificate is my licence for this season and we got a free pair of latex gloves and a free Duke 1 1/2 trap. Talk about a great deal. I'm only planning on catching rats this year, and maybe a raccoon or two. We'll see what my schedule allows. Anyone else trap or thinking about it?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

trapper57
500 Club

Re: Trappers ed.

Unread postby trapper57 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:37 am

Congrats on taking the course!
Trapping is a great sport/hobby.
I've been trapping on and off for over 40 yrs.
I trapped back the glory days, the 70's
Made some decent money, tough to do that now.
Good luck this season!
I mainly trap for fun now. Or for problem animals.
My goal is to trap some coyotes, yet to do that.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:14 pm

Very cool, trapping is something I've become more and more interested in. I almost too a class last fall but timing didn't work. Definitely something I'll do in the future. Good luck, lots off fun stuff to learn!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:22 pm

I'm a regular but not a pro/furforlife guy. I like yote and beaver the most. Plan to trap my first fischer in the next year or two...waiting for my youngest to get older. Hopefully a wolf too but waiting on regs.

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:45 am

Used to trap wish I still did tough to find the time

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:21 pm

Im gonna be running a pretty good size line this year for rat, mink, coon fox yote,

strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:17 pm

I'm signed up for the Wis trappers Ed class in Sept. My main interest is yote control in northern Wis. I am all new to this. My question for anyone who can tell me......Which has a better success rate ? Trapping coyotes or calling/hunting them ?
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:19 pm

Calling and hunting would likely be more successful at first. Trapping yotes has a steep learning curve. You might not catch one your first year even. But once you get trapping canines figured out, you can have much more success trapping than would likely be possible hunting. A good trapper can catch far more coyotes in a night over a much larger area than an average hunter could.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:04 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I took the Trappers course at Cabelas this weekend. I learned a lot and looking forward to the season. The instructors were great. It cost only $12. The completion certificate is my licence for this season and we got a free pair of latex gloves and a free Duke 1 1/2 trap. Talk about a great deal. I'm only planning on catching rats this year, and maybe a raccoon or two. We'll see what my schedule allows. Anyone else trap or thinking about it?

Cool.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:18 am

Goober wrote:Calling and hunting would likely be more successful at first. Trapping yotes has a steep learning curve. You might not catch one your first year even. But once you get trapping canines figured out, you can have much more success trapping than would likely be possible hunting. A good trapper can catch far more coyotes in a night over a much larger area than an average hunter could.

Thanks Goober !!
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:35 am

Very cool, I love hearing folks interested in trapping. I've taught hunter and trapper ed for about 10 years now and haven't had the student interest to teach a trapping class. I try to stir interest in every hunter ed class I teach but I seldom get any feedback.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
ruttnhrd

Unread postby ruttnhrd » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:50 pm

I love trapping! I have 3 kids 7yr 6yr and a 2 1/2 yr old. The two older girls come with me almost everyday. My 2 1/2 year old son tags along some days. They all love it. We mainly snare coyotes and trap beavers. It gives me something to do after deer season and I get to do almost all of it with my kids. It's awesome!! You will love it! Good luck
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:45 pm

I'm getting the itch. Planning on dabbling in coon trapping and some canine/Bobcat trapping again.
Tjterry
Facebook: Trevor Terry

Unread postby Tjterry » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Always good to see another trapper start. I've trapped longer than I've hunted. Started as soon as I was big enough to follow my grandpa.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:37 am

Im new want to start but have no idea where to start. Where to buy traps how to set them where to set them etc i love deer hunting and alot of trappers trap around deer areas and its almost like scouting for deer for next year. I want to start a line along the marshes snd hear that it will be muscrats gray foxes and coons mainly can i make a few bucks doing this? How many traps would be considered a trap line? Is it alot of money (big money) first starting for supplies traps etc? I wanna go basic. Easy stuf to use. Dont know anything so i dont want to get caight up in the marketing bullcrap that deer hunting has. Any input would be well appreciated my brothers
Merry xmas all

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”