Shed Pup's Training & First Shed Season!

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pike

Re: Shed Pup's Training & First Shed Season!

Unread postby Pike » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Dan I didnt understand it either. My plan was to have fresh sheds to train my pup but 43+ inches of snow prevented me from shed hunting until Feb. 28th., and since I dont keep my sheds I only had one antler to start training Mojo and it was a couple years old. So I contacted a trainer that has been training antler dogs for years and sells them for $6,500.00 each. on whether I should start training Mojo with the old antler or wait until I get some fresh antlers, and he said to get started right away, the old antler would be better to start out a pup with since older antlers give off more scent than fresh antlers do.
As far as using both older and fresh antlers in my training (some of the sheds I found this year were drops from last year) I dont see any difference, Mojo finds the older one's just as fast as the fresh antlers and vice verca. Pike

WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:04 am

I don't know about any of you other shed hunters out there, but when I pick up a shed, I always smell it. And I really like the smell of most antlers...they do have a distinct smell.

I know...I'm weird. :oops:
Pike

Unread postby Pike » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:30 am

WiBowhuntress wrote:I don't know about any of you other shed hunters out there, but when I pick up a shed, I always smell it. And I really like the smell of most antlers...they do have a distinct smell.

I know...I'm weird. :oops:

:D put them in a tupperware container for a couple days then open it!!Pike
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:16 am

great post. Our family dog passed this winter and I have been looking into this. I hear that golden retrievers are the best for shed hunting. Don't know if there is any truth to that. IF we get another dog it will be trained for shed hunting. Thanks for the info.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:55 am

dirt nap giver wrote:great post. Our family dog passed this winter and I have been looking into this. I hear that golden retrievers are the best for shed hunting. Don't know if there is any truth to that. IF we get another dog it will be trained for shed hunting. Thanks for the info.

I have a Golden Retriever and he seems totally obsessed with my shed antlers I have around the house even though he has never been shed hunting. :? Maybe I should take him out sometime. He is 8 years old but I guess it's never too late to learn.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:38 am

WiBowhuntress wrote:... I know...I'm weird. :oops:

Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but... :lol:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:29 pm

That is awesome man! I would love to have a little buddy like that, but would be really unfair to the dog. I live in town where he would have to be on a 20ft chain all day. I work long and crazy hours and a dog like that needs to run and deserves a better life then that. I look forward to postings of future shed hunts though. Thanks for posting I really enjoyed it.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Wish I would have seen this post sooner. This is awesome. Another shed season is just about here I am looking forward to your posts here in the near future. Great looking dog.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”