Shed Antlers in the South?

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Shed Antlers in the South?

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:13 pm

This is a really dumb question but I am wondering what happens to shed antlers in the south? Seems like I've never heard of anyone from the southern states being big shed hunters? You always see shed pics in the snow, or in a brown landscape just after snow melt. Do southerners chase sheds too?

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
huntinnurse
500 Club

Re: Shed Antlers in the South?

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:13 am

Oh yea!!! The use them for siding on their barns!!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Mountain Archer

Unread postby Mountain Archer » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:13 am

I live and hunt in northen tennessee, I also hunt in southern kentucky, for some reason it is very rare to find sheds in this area. In the past I have hunted for sheds and never found one, however, having spent most of my free time in the woods for the past 40 years, I have found no more than 10 sheds accidently while scounting or turkey hunting.
bowright

Unread postby bowright » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:31 pm

I'm originally from the south, and its much tougher to shed hunt down there. So much timber, so little bucks per square mile, way to many squirrels. I've found a few in my life down there, but I find more in a day in Iowa, than I have ever found down south my whole life.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks for the help guys I was just always really curious about that. Even the big wigs on tv never mention sheds (at least that I've seen) when they are down south. A lot of the midwest hunts and northern area hunts you see seem to have a reference to finding the sheds of a buck so and so killed. Always seemed weird why you never heard of it in the south but now I know. Thanks!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”