Shed Hunting 101

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SplitG2

Re: Shed Hunting 101

Unread postby SplitG2 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:05 am

moondoondude wrote:I have found thousands of antlers, and in some years i have found over 200 in a single year.

For shedhunting basics, it starts with knowing your herd in the area you are hunting. Basically, focus on bedding areas and food sources and the areas that they utilize in between. I always know the food source and the best bedding before I go in. Lots of poop = lots of deer activity.

Great post, spot on. I don’t find as many as Moondoondude does every year but typically find between 30-50 per year.

The only thing I can think to add is that if I was told that I could only shed hunt 1 particular type of habitat the rest of my life, hands down I would choose Overgrown/CRP fields....regardless of terrain. I cover loads of ground each spring all over SE and NW Ohio looking for sheds. 2 completely different types of terrain and more often than not different winter weather yet between the 2 parts of the state, overgrown/CRP fields typically hold the most sheds.

Hunt Hard or Go Home
may21581
500 Club

Re: Shed Hunting 101

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:11 am

Bedding and food seems to be the spots to find them. When you find one you generally will find more in the area. It seems like when your on them your on them and sometimes you look and cant find one if your life depended on it.
I find walking slow, stopping every 15 yards or so and looking back and around helps alot. Also sunny days are horrible. The antlers really light up in low light overcast days with a slight drizzle.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”