Spotted from my train

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JWandling
Facebook: Jason Wandling

Spotted from my train

Unread postby JWandling » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:04 am

I thought it was a shed but it was half a rack from a dead one. I spotted it from my train and stopped to get it.

backstraps

Re: Spotted from my train

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Heck yeah! good eye and nice find :clap:
JWandling

Unread postby JWandling » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Most of the sheds and dead heads I’ve found I was either driving my car or running my train. I just remember where they are and stop my next time through. I probably have 30-40 racks and who knows how many sheds.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:19 am

You guys are both train engineers/operators and you actually stop the train to grab the sheds you spot?!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
JWandling

Unread postby JWandling » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:35 am

Absolutely. I just saw a big group of deer this morning. 10-15 deer. 3 for sure still had both sides. All were big body deer. I’m guessing a few more bucks in the group.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:04 am

Chuck B wrote:You guys are both train engineers/operators and you actually stop the train to grab the sheds you spot?!

I had an engineer stop his train, walk back to me to let me know if the wrong person were to see me hunting beside the tracks like I was I could get prosecuted

I was hunting private property that the train tracks came between. I was literally hunting a spot the buck I was after, was crossed the tracks

I didn’t realize hunting the railroad companies right of way was against the law. I wish I still had the picture of my set up :lol: We eventually got a shot at the buck away from the tracks.

I just thought it was cool the engineer was super nice and genuinely trying to help me stay out of trouble
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:52 am

Ive found a lot of overlooked sign. I've found several sheds and deadheads next to tracks. I've also seen a lot of good bedding right beside the tracks.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:05 am

backstraps wrote:
Chuck B wrote:You guys are both train engineers/operators and you actually stop the train to grab the sheds you spot?!

I had an engineer stop his train, walk back to me to let me know if the wrong person were to see me hunting beside the tracks like I was I could get prosecuted

I was hunting private property that the train tracks came between. I was literally hunting a spot the buck I was after, was crossed the tracks

I didn’t realize hunting the railroad companies right of way was against the law. I wish I still had the picture of my set up :lol: We eventually got a shot at the buck away from the tracks.

I just thought it was cool the engineer was super nice and genuinely trying to help me stay out of trouble

I've heard from several sources that RR tracks/right-of-ways are good places to avoid.

For some reason (liability concerns, most likely), some RR companies often go to great lengths to keep people off them, and prosecuting offenders.
Sucks, because they are easy walking into overlooked areas.
JWandling

Unread postby JWandling » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:02 am

KRONIIK wrote:
backstraps wrote:

I've heard from several sources that RR tracks/right-of-ways are good places to avoid.

For some reason (liability concerns, most likely), some RR companies often go to great lengths to keep people off them, and prosecuting offenders.
Sucks, because they are easy walking into overlooked areas.

As long as you aren’t walking in the middle of the tracks nothing will ever be said.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”