Shed hunting corn fields (standing and picked)

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Longhaul

Re: Shed hunting corn fields (standing and picked)

Unread postby Longhaul » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:19 pm

i shed hunt pretty hard most years. i don't find as many in corn as i do in bean stubble, but i have found plenty in corn stubble over the years.
Very seldom do we have any standing corn left to look in so i cannot speak to that.

If you are in a good area that you know has stuff you want to find, you just gotta cover the corn fields too. Whether you are on foot or have wheels, here's how i cover corn stubble fields.

i go across the rows, not down them. i look only one direction the whole time down the rows. Whatever way the sun is not shining from as an example. i cross the whole field then turn around and come back with my head turned opposite, looking the same direction as before. How far apart i space my intervals is determined by how clean the field is, clutter, weeds, etc. Do NOT go fast.

By looking the same direction you can focus on looking much easier, and you will get overlap on where you are looking. Don't look too far down the row, because you are going to cover all of it. Anything that stands out- Bino's come up and look it over. You will see a lot of stuff that looks like antler in corn stubble.

Never pass up chance to cover grass waterways in good areas. Normally find more horn in the waterways than field itself. Definitely cover the perimeter of any field first. Any field of any type, i find more horns right along the edges or just inside surrounding cover.

Corn isn't easy but there will be horns out there you will miss out on if you do not look. Looking one direction works well for me and makes it easier to cover fields and not feel like i am missing much.

Good luck !

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”