Shed hunting corn fields (standing and picked)

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail_addict

Shed hunting corn fields (standing and picked)

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:12 pm

So for the first time ever this past winter I had standing corn on a couple of properties I have access to. One was a food plot I had put in and another, maybe a half mile away, was about a 20 acre standing corn field that just didn't get taken off before the winter hit. Anyway, I figured with the standing corn I'd be in for some good shed hunting in corn fields come this time of year. The 20 acre field has since been cut making it possible for me to drive the four-wheeler up and down rows looking for sheds.

I had a camera out there a month or two ago with several different bucks and have since found 3 of 4 sheds from the two biggest bucks I had on camera, but not one of them was actually found in the corn, all were found around it within 200 yards though.

It's got me wondering, how many sheds (a lot, a few, none, etc.) do some of you guys actually find in corn fields in the spring? I figured these would be sure fire, though the mild winter likely didn't help my shed hunting odds. In the past I've walked cut corn fields or the first few rows adjacent to woods and have never found a single one actually in the corn, but plenty around it. I'm starting to think the deer spend much less time actually feeding in these fields, even in the dead of winter, than I originally thought. It seems, at least based on where I've found many of my sheds, that they maybe feed in the fields for a short time and then spend most of their nights just kind of hanging out or bedding around the fields.

Thoughts?

Also, for anyone that's had good success in corn fields for sheds, what has been your strategy for searching them? Walking row by row, four-wheeler, glassing... or do you just focus on certain areas of these big fields? Tonight for example, I covered a about the first ten rows of corn all around a corn field that had good winter activity. I drove a four-wheeler rather slowly up and down rows covering only two rows per pass. I figured the edges would be the best bet since it was standing corn all winter but still nothing.

Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: Shed hunting corn fields (standing and picked)

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:12 pm

I hand several questions about shed hunting in and around corn fields earlier in the year and since I followed the advice from fellow beast members my success rate improved. From what I've learned if you want to find sheds you have to look in areas that have good population. Second if your hunting good areas with good population you must grid search. You can cruse threw the area but if you want to feel confident you have cleared and area you must grid search the area. Don't rush, take your time, and focus on what your looking for, third. Just like scouting pay attention to transition lines. If that's where your going to find most deer movement and activity, it only makes sense, that the possibility of you finding a shed would be in that area.

Once you think about deer numbers and core areas you will realize what areas are god for sweeping and areas for searching. What areas get activity.

Like you said lots of bucks came to the corn but most sheds where found in the surrounding area. That's where the most activity is occurring.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Joe™
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:50 am

I find most of my sheds in transition areas, and in nighttime bedding areas in and around the corn fields.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:31 am

I don't shed hunt but when I used to turkey hunt in PA I found lots of sheds by just randomly walking across cut corn fields in the spring, and I wasn't really looking for them. These are bigger fields like 100 acre.

I am surprised by your lack of findings.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:41 am

I agree with Haus86 don't find many in the corn fields for a number of reasons. Biggest reason is it is tough to find them in the corn. :think: You can cover 10 times more ground out of and around the corn even picked fields. I find some in the grassy draws in the corn fields. There are always sheds in the corn if you can find them. Many a tractor tire has been ruined by antlers. Last one I can remember was in 2011 ruined an $1800 tire picking corn.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:44 am

Stanley wrote:I agree with Haus86 don't find many in the corn fields for a number of reasons. Biggest reason is it is tough to find them in the corn. :think: You can cover 10 times more ground out of and around the corn even picked fields. I find some in the grassy draws in the corn fields. There are always sheds in the corn if you can find them. Many a tractor tire has been ruined by antlers. Last one I can remember was in 2011 [glow=red]ruined an $1800 tire picking corn[/glow].

:o

I suspect you examined the shed, found and patterned the culprit that next fall, and made him pay! :lol:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:46 am

Yep. Our farmer has ruined tires in the spring. I don't find alot of sheds in corn fields either. I can only think of one. Mostly find them in the bedding and transition areas

buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:15 am

I always walk the corn fields (not as much as I used to because of the ratio of time spent to finds) but have only ever found 4 sheds within the corn fields.

Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
wrusch

Unread postby wrusch » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:23 am

I found one small one walking inside standing corn this year. I usually find mine in bedding areas and transitions.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:52 am

This is a good example of why I don't find many in the actual corn stubble.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:21 am

I see it!

Joe™
rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:06 am

Found it too. Great example Haus

There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:14 am

It took me a litte bit to see it. Good example

sethg

Unread postby sethg » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:00 am

so hard to find in stubble. You've got to be within 20 yards, and still probably won't see it. I start going cross eyed after about 15 mins looking in corn stubble.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:03 am

We always find one or two with the tractor tire...

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”