Antler traps?

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Antler traps?

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:07 am

Any body use them? If so what are your tactics....? Ethical or not?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jeff G
500 Club

Re: Antler traps?

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:14 am

I have experimented with this. I have used big rubber bunji cords and put a feed block on the ground. got a couple. pretty basic, didn't want any chance of a buck getting stuck in there.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:15 am

Unethical imo. I see bucks shed from mid December to April. What happens to a buck that is going to shed in April when his rack gets tangled up in that in January? Answer: unnecessary stress put on the animal in a vulnerable part of the year.
I love to shed hunt (wish I had more time to do it, but between scouting and ice fishing, not enough hours in a day) but people are starting to get real weird about it. I deal with more trespassers shed hunting than I do actual hunting. I can't believe people risk getting a trespassing ticket to pick up a piece of bone!?!?

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:42 am

At first I thought looks pretty sweet and kinda would be fun to get some sheds when scavengers get them faster than us a lot of the times. But with safety being brought up and the possibility of stress and also it is not naturally coming off makes me lean toward saying unethical.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:50 am

I would probably give it a try if i had some private land and only if it was legal of course I would probably go with a more ethical design than the one shown though.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:14 am

IMO Unethical for sure. Might be illegal in the state you live. Check your local laws.

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:37 am

Not even sure if they are legal in WI? I prefer putting on the miles for sheds (well I scout, if I trip across one its a bonus), helps burn of some of the winter weight as well.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:38 am

Antlers on a corn pile...sounds like a recipe for chewed up sheds!

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:40 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Antlers on a corn pile...sounds like a recipe for chewed up sheds!

:lol:

csgrizz

Unread postby csgrizz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:28 am

Its illegal in Illinois simply because you cannot feed or provide salt/minerals for deer at any time of the year. (Ironically the feed/supplement/minerals all sell very well at the local stores :roll: )
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:08 am

My good freind has three of theses on his land...works good from whst I see and he checkes them every other day so nothing is really chewing on them..and if so the damage is minimal...

as far as the stress on the animal never really thought about that but I don't think knocking their antlers off Iis that stressful compared to what they have to go through winter cold, food shortage ,predators....

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:27 am

BigHunt wrote:My good freind has three of theses on his land...works good from whst I see and he checkes them every other day so nothing is really chewing on them..and if so the damage is minimal...

as far as the stress on the animal never really thought about that but I don't think knocking their antlers off Iis that stressful compared to what they have to go through winter cold, food shortage ,predators....

I think k it has more to do if an animal gets caught in the wire when their antlers are not ready to fall off. That can crate a lot of unneeded physical stress on the animal and potentially cause injury.

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:15 am

Giant alfalfa square bails work... especially if they are green. Bucks will use antlers to try pry apart the bail... and they will bed in it. Not legal in WI... but I have seen others do it. It works

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:26 am

Knute78 wrote:
BigHunt wrote:My good freind has three of theses on his land...works good from whst I see and he checkes them every other day so nothing is really chewing on them..and if so the damage is minimal...

I think k it has more to do if an animal gets caught in the wire when their antlers are not ready to fall off. That can crate a lot of unneeded physical stress on the animal and potentially cause injury.

True and agree

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:13 am

Jeff G wrote:I have experimented with this. I have used big rubber bunji cords and put a feed block on the ground. got a couple. pretty basic, didn't want any chance of a buck getting stuck in there.

I think an "antler trap is a cool idea if there is a way of doing it without the possibility of getting a deer hung up in it. I think Jeff has the right idea here.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”