Shed hunting public land.

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SofaKing

Shed hunting public land.

Unread postby SofaKing » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:06 am

Newbie to shed hunting. I've heard about following fence lines. But one the state land around here no fences. So where do you concert at your efforts? Was out with a buddy for 4. Hours following trails. We came upon three doe feeding and that's it. Any help would be appreciated.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Deer hunting isn't a season it's a way of Life
basspro05
500 Club

Re: Shed hunting public land.

Unread postby basspro05 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:11 am

I found one shed on a trail to food plot where the buck had to jump over a downed log...my buddy found one within eyesight of a bucks bed...I think they spend most of there time in there beds so get close to bedding areas in my opinion, but I am a rookie no expert.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:12 am

SofaKing wrote:Newbie to shed hunting. I've heard about following fence lines. But one the state land around here no fences. So where do you concert at your efforts? Was out with a buddy for 4. Hours following trails. We came upon three doe feeding and that's it. Any help would be appreciated.

Flat or hilly ground

The key to finding sheds is SIMPLY food, you have to find a winter wood source or water source = spring (especially during cold cold winter like we had)

If you are in hilly terrain focus on South facing slopes, especially those with good under brush or grasses/CRP. Deer love to sun on the edges. Points are always a good bet too in hills
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
SofaKing

Unread postby SofaKing » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:53 am

Mostly flat land.

Deer hunting isn't a season it's a way of Life
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:03 pm

Walk, and then walk some more. If there aren't a lot of deer, don't expect to find a lot of sheds. Fences and stuff like that can be good, but keep in mind, most times you're going to have to check hundreds of fence crossings before you find one. Like Bucky said, find a good food source and you will have a decent start.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:11 am

I have never found a shed while 'shed hunting'. I have only stumbled across them while turkey hunting and 99% were in a late season food source.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:35 pm

Sometimes I have walked all day and not found a single shed. That has happened twice this spring so far. One other time I went out and found 5 in 2 hours. Like was said its all about what was the preferred food source in the winter and the bedding that deer went back to from there. I find a bit over half my sheds in or right next to bedding, a bit under half in food sources or on the trails to the food.

I have never found a shed next to a fence or where a deer crosses a ditch despite checking tons of them. Makes me think its not any more likely to fall off there than anywhere else.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”