Shed Dog in Training

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Haus86

Shed Dog in Training

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:43 am

New Years only means one thing for my wife and I and thats shed hunting! My wife and I just got a new red lab pup last Spring. She is turning out to be an awesome dog and I can't wait to get her out to do the real thing. Does anybody else have shed dogs?

Btoeps74

Re: Shed Dog in Training

Unread postby Btoeps74 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:33 pm

He's not trained for shed hunting, but I also have a fox red lab. Great dogs!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:59 pm

8-)

Maybe someday!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:20 am

My son has trained his black lab mix to find sheds. He is good in training, but only ok in the woods.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:34 am

Those are some nice looking dogs.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:50 am

Can anyone point me to some info for training shed dogs? I have a half lab, half bull-mastiff that has great instincts.
Thanks!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
U.P. bownut
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. bownut » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:31 am

tmarbut wrote:Can anyone point me to some info for training shed dogs? I have a half lab, half bull-mastiff that has great instincts.
Thanks!

My wife and I are training our lab to hunt sheds and blood trail. She is doing really good and found her first set already this year! My wife said it was a group effort as she saw the first and was able to let the dog find them on her own. Ill have a pic up here soon.

We used the training aids from Dog Bone. They have a soft antler for beginner training and antler scent. Ive talked with Jeremy Moore and think he is a top notch trainer.
"Freedom Isn't Free"
U.P. bownut
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. bownut » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:18 am

Here is Maize. She is 9 months old and has passed her United Blood Trackers (UBT 1) test and her first found sheds.
"Freedom Isn't Free"
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:42 am

My son used dogbone as well. Jeremy lives not too far from me and I have talked to him several times at seminars.
bpaulson

Unread postby bpaulson » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:45 am

Nice looking dogs guys. I too have a lab that I use for finding sheds and bird hunting. I also did all the training myself. I think the most important thing with any dog or more specifically a hunting dog is general obedience. Once your dog has that you can train them to do anything. Its really fun being out in the woods with my dog Walter and watching him know the difference between "finding a bird" and "finding a bone".

Walter...

Here is his first shed he found at 5 months...

Here is the last shed he found last fall when he went wandering while I was picking apples...

If anyone has specific questions with what training I did don't hesitate to ask!
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:53 am

Are you guys using that rack wax? How about a write up on how you are going about your training?
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:41 am

There are some videos on youtube

basically catch- to hiding- to hiding with gloves and scent control and waiting days.

The real ones you find dont have wax..... ;)

Congrats to all the guys with trained dogs or training.

Big attaboy to UP for his bloodtracker too. Nothing like explaining to people why you have blood and livers in your freezer, lol. The deer hoof taped to the boot wasnt even worth trying to discuss.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
bpaulson

Unread postby bpaulson » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:54 am

Pullintoobs wrote:Are you guys using that rack wax? How about a write up on how you are going about your training?

I bought some but honestly never used it. The reason I never used it with my dog is we did most of the training in the winter/early spring time with snow on the ground and with snow on the ground most of the time all you may see is a tine or two sticking up through the snow. Maybe he would smell the ring wax through the snow but I wanted him to start using his nose AND his eyes to find sheds. Using his eyes also was one of the harder things he had to learn. I figured once he found some "real" sheds he would pick up and associate the smell with it and he did.

Number one thing I did with my dog when training him was limiting his exposure to sheds when he was young. I never understood why people said," just give him a shed to chew on all day long and he'll be a perfect shed dog". Dogs are like humans and want things they can't have! Give them the shed to play with for a half hour once a day and put it in the closet the rest of the time. I guarantee you he'll be begging for that shed every time you walk by that closet. I want them to 'want the shed', not just go for a walk and maybe find one.
bpaulson

Unread postby bpaulson » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:02 pm

gjs4 wrote:There are some videos on youtube

basically catch- to hiding- to hiding with gloves and scent control and waiting days.

The real ones you find dont have wax..... ;)

Congrats to all the guys with trained dogs or training.

Big attaboy to UP for his bloodtracker too. Nothing like explaining to people why you have blood and livers in your freezer, lol. The deer hoof taped to the boot wasnt even worth trying to discuss.

Gloves are a must. I would wash my practice sheds with No Scent laundry detergent and then use a ATV to drive around and toss them places. You know walking doesn't work when the dog does your same path but in reverse when you return to the house haha. Also don't be afraid to let them know when you are hiding them at first, just make sure they don't trample you when you open the door.
Btoeps74

Unread postby Btoeps74 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:15 pm

Only concern I have using dogs for shed hunting in my area is porcupines. They seem to find sheds pretty quick and I'd be afraid of dogs getting a face full of quills.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”