Shed Dog in Training

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Shed Dog in Training

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:34 am

We brought our lab out last year to experiment with her on shed hunting. We bought a cheap shed antler kit at Fleet Farm. It consisted of a rubbery shed to get the dog accustom to the shape of a shed. As well as some shed antler scent . I only worked with her for a day and I was surprised how fast she picked it up ( the concept). Lots of praise and encouragement and some dog treats were all she needed to hunt down the sheds I planted in a corn field. Just to show their nose power an independence at the close of the afternoon I went up ahead of my girlfriend heading back to the car. I then tossed a shed ( with the scent applied) as far as I could throw it off the trail and up wind. I then went back to my girlfriend and we all walked out together. My girlfriend asked where I threw the shed and I motioned in the direction I threw it. Only problem was I couldn't spot it . So as we are walking back to the car our dog spots dead in her tracks , backpeddles a few steps and tears off across the field and goes right to the shed. I was pretty impressed. All of the previous retrievals were prompted by us , but this one was all dog, no commands , nothing ! I'm gonna bring the dog out again this spring and spend a little more time with her. I think she could be a pretty good shed hunting dog for sure.

hoytw

Unread postby hoytw » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:56 am

I have a shed dog that was trained by Roger Sigler out of Kansas City. Last year he found around 100 sheds. Porcupines are all over the areas we look. They will generally leave them alone. I wouldn't worry about them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:09 am

Awesome dogs guys! I hope to one day have a dog and I will be shed training for sure!
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:32 am

I think she is more of a grouse dog now. SHe found those dead bucks from a long way off though. I have really been getting her on grouse lately. She still stops and sniffs bones and such, but she is not really interested in bringing them too me, she is more interested in finding grouse now. NO big deal for me, as there aren't a whole lot of sheds out there. I tried to get a few leases and such let me take her on their land to look, but no one was interested. I am sure she could find them again but I am more interested in keeping her a bird brain.

Great pics guys. Any reason why most of these dogs are labs?
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:59 am

This is my dog "Fleur":

and my fiancée's "Ruby":

Both do ok finding sheds. Fleur has found 20+ and Ruby has found 10 or so. The antlers they have found I never would have. Most of them I had already walked past. Ruby seems to stick close and find older antlers. Fleur is the athlete and ranges a little more. They seem to work better as individuals than together. Kind of like kids- always screwing around when they are together but can focus better when alone.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:15 am

I have a German Shorthair that's a of a shed dog, along with blood trailing and the angel of death(as long as I shoot straight) on woodcock. She went to work w/ me everyday in the woods for 10 yrs. before it got to be too much for her. But we had some epic hauls in a place that everything w/ horns gets blasted. So to come across some good ones was a chore. We would walk about 50 miles in 4-5 days on public land and this was one of the better few days worth of hunting.
copper/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=22423&pid=3787#top_display_media
She was really tuned into at a young age. I think the key was always giving her sheds to chew on for toys as a puppy and she never really bothered with anything else outside of that. The blood trailing is what took some work. I think the nose plus the ability to cover serious ground is her deal.
My girl Gretta

copper/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=22423&pid=3797#top_display_media
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:04 am

This is awesome, when I find my first set of sheds I might see if my dog takes an interest in them at all...very cool guys!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:36 am

I'm looking for a good shed dog and a owner to work my lease... lots of marsh grass/brush

PM me is your interested or in the area (Central WI)

Should be a decent spot to find some for the dog
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:27 am

nice looking dog.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”