Sheds in the snow

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Sheds in the snow

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:13 pm

I was wondering what you guys think about finding sheds in the snow? Have any of you had luck finding sheds in the snow?

We have about 6 to 8 inches of snow now from the storms that have hit lately. I have a new job and I dont get off work too often because of it. I have off on Monday and would love to hit some ground. Most of my spots have not been stepped on yet. This is about the time of year when I really start finding them.

With all the snow do you think I would find any sheds? I would think in some spots especially if its a food source area the snow would be packed down however I dont want to kick the deer out of the wintering area. Whats your thoughts? Like I said before whats your experience on finding sheds in the snow?

Darin
500 Club

Re: Sheds in the snow

Unread postby Darin » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:23 pm

The snow makes it much harder for sure. I still get out in the snow, but I stick to the food sources. Dont want to venture too deep in the snow kicking them out. Snow will melt eventually and the sheds will be there. Id say check it out Monday but just hit some "easy access" food sources till we get a decent melt.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:05 am

I think deep snow makes it easier... the deer are concentrated and food source/trails/beds are obvious. If I had your ground to walk I would be going Monday for sure :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:48 am

Bucky wrote:I think deep snow makes it easier... the deer are concentrated and food source/trails/beds are obvious. If I had your ground to walk I would be going Monday for sure :D

Ok I will go...I was going to go anyways :D ....Havnt put too much pressure on them yet. I have stayed out of bedding areas for the most part. There is a lot of standing corn fields to walk through.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:09 am

A lot of standing corn :shock:

I wish I had standing corn fields to walk :mrgreen:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:18 am

Bucky wrote:A lot of standing corn :shock:

I wish I had standing corn fields to walk :mrgreen:

Thats a MUST for Monday! Standing corn should make things easy with some trampled snow.

BHBH, just send me a text if you get lucky. Ill post the pics for you ;)
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:22 am

darin i will send u a text tommorow b4 i go out. will send pics of sheds if i find any. do u guys think i should just walk the corn? there is about 10 acres the neighbor leaves up every year for the deer. he lets me look on his land.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:03 am

I would hit the corn and walk the edges for sure... then follow trails too and from. If you have a South facing slope bordering the corn field it should be money.

I hate walking in corn... but edges I would be all over
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:38 pm

Bucky wrote:I would hit the corn and walk the edges for sure... then follow trails too and from. If you have a South facing slope bordering the corn field it should be money.

I hate walking in corn... but edges I would be all over

There is a long ridgeline thats south facing slope. There are some big trees that were cut down a year or two ago and its thick in there. I would assume they bed there. I havnt checked it yet tho. Once you get off the South facing slope you get down to a picked corn field then about 50 yards later is the standing corn.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:00 pm

It may be worth going through your inventory of buck beds if you know where some are and checking them for sheds.

My brother loves shed hunting more than actual hunting and he's found a few sheds in beds. He usually finds 50 sheds a year and tracks how far he goes with his GPS which is usually in the hundreds of miles. I've been trying to get him to keep his eyes open for buck beds and give me the coordinates! No dice yet because he said if I go in and kill that buck, then that will be 2 less sheds out there for him to look for. LOL
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:59 pm

xpauliber wrote:It may be worth going through your inventory of buck beds if you know where some are and checking them for sheds.

My brother loves shed hunting more than actual hunting and he's found a few sheds in beds. He usually finds 50 sheds a year and tracks how far he goes with his GPS which is usually in the hundreds of miles. I've been trying to get him to keep his eyes open for buck beds and give me the coordinates! No dice yet because he said if I go in and kill that buck, then that will be 2 less sheds out there for him to look for. LOL

Sometimes I think I like looking for sheds more! :lol:

For some odd reason of all the sheds I find...I very rarely find a shed in a buck bed. IDK why but thats how it is for me.

I posted a pic of shed antlers I had mounted by my dad in the Taxi thread and those were the only two I can remember finding in a bed. Both were in a bed but they were different beds about 150 yards apart.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”