Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigb
500 Club

Re: shedding pretty hard here in shawano county

Unread postby Bigb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:06 pm

solocam88 wrote:
hemlock wrote:sorry we dont do management,facts our neighbor across the ridge on the other side of hunt tigerridge shoots 75 doe's a year ever year on ag tags,and as of right now we might have our shoes full of deer killing this year if our one adult doe comes back positive of cwd there will be no management,it will be eradication ,people need to be educated propertys can only hold and handle so many deer ,mother natere takes care of her own.need to face reality,everyone is so worried about the old might antler wise up man,deer populations get to high guess what happens

???

[ Post made via Android ] Image

X2

I can't really understand this but from what I can, if you want to have less deer, a buck that shed his antlers isn't the way to go. A buck will be one deer this year and one deer next year. One doe this year will likely be a doe and one or two fawns next year. If you want to thin out your herd, you shouldn't be shooting bucks, you need to shoot more does. Save the antleress tags for does and you'll be helping the population more than shooting bucks.

Are there places that really still have 50 deer per square mile in Central Wisconsin. I'm just curious, I heard that with all the tags they issued for CDW for years it really brought the herd down to almost nothing.

Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:19 am

Bigb wrote:
solocam88 wrote:
hemlock wrote:sorry we dont do management,facts our neighbor across the ridge on the other side of hunt tigerridge shoots 75 doe's a year ever year on ag tags,and as of right now we might have our shoes full of deer killing this year if our one adult doe comes back positive of cwd there will be no management,it will be eradication ,people need to be educated propertys can only hold and handle so many deer ,mother natere takes care of her own.need to face reality,everyone is so worried about the old might antler wise up man,deer populations get to high guess what happens

???

[ Post made via Android ] Image

X2

I can't really understand this but from what I can, if you want to have less deer, a buck that shed his antlers isn't the way to go. A buck will be one deer this year and one deer next year. One doe this year will likely be a doe and one or two fawns next year. If you want to thin out your herd, you shouldn't be shooting bucks, you need to shoot more does. Save the antleress tags for does and you'll be helping the population more than shooting bucks.

Are there places that really still have 50 deer per square mile in Central Wisconsin. I'm just curious, I heard that with all the tags they issued for CDW for years it really brought the herd down to almost nothing.

The properties I hunt in S.E. WI are CWD units. I havnt noticed any change on population around me. Infact, this last season ive seen the most deer overall. But thats my spots, not sure about Central.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:01 pm

West central WI the population was at rock bottom in 2008/2009 but has steadily increased every year since. Around the year 2000 was when I remember seeing about 30 deer opening day....however hunters did a lot more drives then too on opening day including my party.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I was going to try and hunt Giant City SP around 2009 since my uncle has a place within shouting distance and everyone told me not to bother. I found some land to hunt in 2010 so never really looked into it again. I was told then that the deer herd was almost nothing. Even when I was up there last Memorial day I only saw two deer. I remember skiing at Devils Head in the early 90s and everytime I walked outside there were deer walking around. Glad to hear the population is coming back a bit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”