South Texas Brush Country and Hill Country shed hunts

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

moondoondude
500 Club

South Texas Brush Country and Hill Country shed hunts

Unread postby moondoondude » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:02 pm

I decided that I would head out and do some shed hunting this weekend since I had the time. I ended up figuring out two spots that I could walk pretty freely that are small in TX terms, about 3,000 acres (brush country) and 8,000 acres (hill country). I decided to check the brush country spot out first, on Saturday. I ended up getting out and got really excited to be out and about, and tried to stay in the more open areas. The more open areas include 5 foot high grass with the typical "brush". I can't see my waist walking through this stuff, let alone my feet or an antler. There has been a lot of rain and everything is poppin big time. Eventually I got onto a couple pig trails. Lots and lots of pigs. It's real thick too, very easy to get turned around in there.

Here are some of the pig trails meandering through some of this stuff.

I eventually made my way out into my first sendero. These senderos are unbeleivable. I walked for about 15 minutes down the first, then took a right at a T and walked another 20. This stuff was only shin to waist high, but I was excited to finally see some of this South TX deer habitat.

I ended up busting up a couple deer and went out and checked it out. THey were bedding down in some tall grass in the shade. It was hot.

I ended up hooking a right and walked down into a boggy area. It smelt awful, and I soon learned why. The pigs were wallowing down in a big mud puddle.

I ended up following a major trail to a creek, about 20 yards away from the wallow. It was strange seeing this in South TX.

I followed the creek for a while and thought nothing of it. It was really small and shallow. I came up to a very small pool and saw a couple big largemouth, I was really surprised by that, water couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 feet deep.

On the way out I came across a flat that was totally torn apart by pigs. They were rooting up acres and acres of this place - waist to chest high grasses and plants tore up with some trees and shrubs tore down too. There are a ton of pigs down here.

Today I decided to go to some hill country out west. It's just about the polar opposite of the brush country. The only thing in common is that it's really thick. I sit right on the line, so I can bounce back and forth to whichever. The day started out with a pretty steep climb so I could get situated and figure out my plan.

Once I got up I found a couple big flats. I got into a ton of pigs again, and the coyotes were howling like crazy.

I ended up walking quite a bit and found this to be cool - a beetle pushing around some poop.

I kept walking and ended up on some pretty nice views and some nice flowers. I couldn't believe the colors out here even - everything is in full bloom - not very easy to find antlers, for sure.

I couldn't walk anywhere without finding a bunch of areas the pigs tore up. They do some serious damage out here.

Some "pretty" stuff.

I ended up calling it a day and decided to take a straight route back to the car - I ended up taking a break and decided to take a picture of my path - it was brutal. Also, this nasty critter was right down at my feet.

solocam88
500 Club

Re: South Texas Brush Country and Hill Country shed hunts

Unread postby solocam88 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Great pictures. Texas is fun

[ Post made via Android ] Image
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:22 am

no snakes? I'd of been worried walking through all the thick brush and not being able to see my feet!
Nice Pics! We had snow here yesterday, looks nice.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:33 am

Cool pix... Different world down there. It don't look like that here till July! 8-)
Missionman

Unread postby Missionman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:02 am

Lol, a beetle pushing around some poop. Them pictures are really clear alot different terrain than in Wisconsin.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”