The 20 yard rule

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rochester coops

The 20 yard rule

Unread postby rochester coops » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:22 am

Maybe its just me, but when I find antlers in a field, more often than not they tend to be within about 20 yards of the field edge. I have found them in the middle of a field, and in the woods, but most of mine tend to be around the edge. Maybe its just me, Moondude finds more in one season than I have ever found, so he might be able to correct me. Just thinking if you only have limited time to hunt, there are areas more productive than just wandering over the entire field. I've done that, but find them on the edges.

rochester coops

Re: The 20 yard rule

Unread postby rochester coops » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:46 am

Come to think of it, most of my antlers found in the woods were near the edges too.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:52 am

I can't say that I have found most within 20 yards of field edges.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Whitetails are creatures of edge habitat. That would make sense that you find more sheds there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:11 pm

I have noticed that most of mine have come from edge too. A lot of people say checking beds is great but I think Ive only found a few that way. Not sure why I dont find many in the beds. Also if you have a crick on your property or fenceline check that out. Whenever they jump over its putting pressure on popping the antlers off. Good luck. 8-)
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:26 pm

First off, awesome thread rochester coops. I have thought about creating a thread on the very same subject. Also, some people have already pointed out some great points.

The fact is, as Dewey pointed out, deer are edge habitat animals. The majority of my sheds are found near the edge also. If I don't have a lot of time and I want to check a whole place out, I walk the edges - where two habitats meet (field meets woods, open hardwoods meets pines, CRP meets honeysuckle, saplings meet bigger, older trees). You get it, any edge - that is where deer hang out - and you will usually find a major travel corridor there that they move up and down as well. As rochester coops pointed out - most are found within 20 yards of the edge.

Bighills mentioned beds also. I find a pretty low percentage of my sheds in thick bedding areas - sometimes thicker bedding areas are loaded with a ton of sign but still, they don't always produce sheds.

I will point out that one of the best shedhunters I know (who is also a biologist, a QDM consultant, and studies whitetails) has an interesting approach to this idea. He has spent years shedhunting and probably has 1000+ antlers to show for it. He only looks right along edges. He says that after years of approaching properties in different ways, including grid searching, he finds about 75% of antlers along edges - so he doesn't bother to look anywhere else. He also checks fields (food sources) since deer spend about half of their time there. He saves more than half of his time by doing this. I don't necessarily agree with it completely, but I think there is good reason to the way he shedhunts and he has a lot of antlers to show for it.
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:32 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:I have noticed that most of mine have come from edge too. A lot of people say checking beds is great but I think Ive only found a few that way. Not sure why I dont find many in the beds. Also if you have a crick on your property or fenceline check that out. Whenever they jump over its putting pressure on popping the antlers off. Good luck. 8-)

I've found a few where deer have jumped a fence or down into a field jarring them loose. Great point!
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Great post ! I love the posts that get you thinking like this. Thinking back, nearly all my sheds have also been right within that 20 to 30 yard edge range.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:34 pm

moondoondude wrote:First off, awesome thread rochester coops. I have thought about creating a thread on the very same subject. Also, some people have already pointed out some great points.

The fact is, as Dewey pointed out, deer are edge habitat animals. The majority of my sheds are found near the edge also. If I don't have a lot of time and I want to check a whole place out, I walk the edges - where two habitats meet (field meets woods, open hardwoods meets pines, CRP meets honeysuckle, saplings meet bigger, older trees). You get it, any edge - that is where deer hang out - and you will usually find a major travel corridor there that they move up and down as well. As rochester coops pointed out - most are found within 20 yards of the edge.

Bighills mentioned beds also. I find a pretty low percentage of my sheds in thick bedding areas - sometimes thicker bedding areas are loaded with a ton of sign but still, they don't always produce sheds.

I will point out that one of the best shedhunters I know (who is also a biologist, a QDM consultant, and studies whitetails) has an interesting approach to this idea. He has spent years shedhunting and probably has 1000+ antlers to show for it. He only looks right along edges. He says that after years of approaching properties in different ways, including grid searching, he finds about 75% of antlers along edges - so he doesn't bother to look anywhere else. He also checks fields (food sources) since deer spend about half of their time there. He saves more than half of his time by doing this. I don't necessarily agree with it completely, but I think there is good reason to the way he shedhunts and he has a lot of antlers to show for it.

This is primarily where I find my sheds. If you know where deer are yarded up and know where they are feeding and know where they are bedding you will find sheds. This year could prove to be more challenging for me as the deer didn't yard up typically. I have been out one time and didn't find any in the spots I normally do. I will go out to another spot next week and see what happens.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:38 pm

Stanley I've found that too. One yr one piece of property will be hot and I'll find a bunch, next yr nothing. It's all about where they are that time of yr. They definitely yard up and relocate.
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Good info, I'm going to spend more time looking in fields and edges. As I travel the back roads I notice deer typically cross the road in the same spot and that’s where I plan to start. I guess common since is to start where you are currently seeing deer. But like previously said the deer just didn’t herd up this winter like in the past. Good luck!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Good thread... 8-)
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Just curious, I like to find sheds and it let's me know what is still alive and most likely going to make it to the upcoming season... But outside of that, with the exception of finding a shed right in the bucks bed do you feel it lends any information on how to connect with the buck? If yes how so?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Yes... It gives you the biggest piece of info. He is there and still alive. Also, now there is no guessing on how big he is, just how big he will be... We talked about confidence recently. I think finding a big bucks shed antler can be a big confidence boost.

8-)
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:08 am

I agree with Dan finding sheds is a big confidence boost. I almost treat sheds as a way for inventory especially this year with the mild winter keeping bucks closer to their core area. When the winters are tough and they are yarded up I usually find quite a few this can also show you the different size classes. I cant say age because Ive realized sheds cant tell you how old the buck is. I learned that from Dan last year in a post.

Also, if you have bucks in their core area where they were last fall, like the big set I found I have two locations pinned down of where he was. My uncle saw this buck cross the neighbors into our land so I know its his core area because it was outside the prime-chase phase.After finding the sheds I can then look at the bedding in the area he was in and determine hunting spots based on his bedding.

I might be wrong, if so someone please correct me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”