Shed Count 2012

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

moondoondude
500 Club

Shed Count 2012

Unread postby moondoondude » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Let's keep a running tally of all the antlers that are found in 2012. Feel free to post pictures of your finds.

One fresh, and two old for me so far. The bigger old antler was a familiar buck, he came by with one antler last year. I found his antler across the road from where I was hunting when I saw him with one antler.

Zap

Re: Shed Count 2012

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Hey you got a dog.......thats cheatin. :lol:

So far:
two old sheds and two dead.

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Found 2 this fall both older. One I was looking for in the spring of 2010. trail camera picture of the buck and picture of the drop. I was tickled pink to find this drop in the middle of a bean field smashed into the ground. The buck has never been seen again.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:18 am

That makes 6. I'm thinking about taking a little walk late today if time permits.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:36 am

For you guys that shed hunt a lot, what percentage of the sheds would you say are off already?

I went shinning last night and saw quite a few baldies and not a single horn on a head. Makes me wonder if quite a few are off already
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:51 am

Tough to give a percentage, but I have seen quite a few that have dropped already this year in SE WI. It seems to fluctuate year to year, and I cannot pinpoint why they drop earlier some years than others. I actually would've thought they'd hold them longer this year with how mild the winter has been, but I saw 4 different bucks that had dropped one or both sides last week during the Holiday Hunt. Two were mature deer. In the same time period, I saw two bucks that were holding both sides, a 1.5 yr 3 point and a 4.5 160+ inch 11 point. I also saw many "antlerless" at long ranges, no way to know if all of those were does, some could've been bucks that dropped. So, my little area, appears more have dropped than not.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:17 am

In Kansas I usually do not find any new sheds until Febuary 15 or so.

But I go and look alot before that anyway while scouting/looking around.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:43 pm

No sheds ,but 3 dead bucks ! :) :) :)
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:37 pm

SHED TOTAL - 8

I found a fresh matched set today. It's a deer that I have seen quite a few times throughout the year - both sheds were laying together in his bed.

g5nz
Facebook: Ziegler_nick@yahoo.com

Unread postby g5nz » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:09 pm

2 dead bucks so far, both looked healthy to me. And were killed by coyotes

[ Post made via Android ] Image
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:26 am

SHED TOTAL -9

One more old one from Monday.

moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:29 am

SHED TOTAL - 10

I found a matched set in a little spot late in the shed season last year. I could tell that the buck had dropped really early. I went out yesterday looking for his fresh set, guessing that they were already on the ground. About 20 yards away from where I found one of his sides last year I found his antler from 2 years ago - proof for the thought that the big boys hang pretty tight to their favorite areas. A couple steps later I walked up on a treestand that had a well worn trail leading up to it - right on top of this buck's bedroom. If the buck is alive, I would guess the hunter changed up his routine and altered his core area. Not to mention whoever is hunting this place isn't legit - but that's how it goes around here. Here is the 2 year old antler I found yesterday along with his matched set from last year.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:32 am

Moondoon - I would be interested in hearing how many hrs/miles you are putting per week?

Nice work :mrgreen:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Bucky wrote:Moondoon - I would be interested in hearing how many hrs/miles you are putting per week?

Nice work :mrgreen:

Right now, I'm not putting in a lot of hours and miles - at least not what I call a lot. Probably about 5 or 6 hours a week for the past two weeks. I would say that is around 12 miles - I walk really fast and I'm really tall and got long legs. The majority of bucks have not shed, so I haven't been walking too much. Last year though, I was putting in a lot of hours and logging a ton of miles. I would say I would put in about 8-10 hours during the week and probably 6-8 hours on the weekends. Sometimes more, sometimes less. A lot of this was a learning curve since it was my first year seriously shed hunting. This year I know where to look. I know the spots that are/aren't good. I expect to have a higher shed/hour ratio. I definitely won't have nearly as much time to walk this year though but I hope to find as many as I can.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:20 pm

very impressive mdd! do you hunt all the areas you shed hunt??
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”