wont be long now

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: wont be long now

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:27 am

I have learned that this time of the year if you see fresh drops of blood pay attention because a fresh shed could be very close by. If there is snow backtrack where the buck came from and you might find the antler.

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:56 am

Bucky wrote:Found my 1st of the year yesterday 8-)

man law violation lets see pics
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:07 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:
Bucky wrote:Found my 1st of the year yesterday 8-)

man law violation lets see pics

I can probalby go throw it in the yard and take a pic for ya :lol:

4pt side, likely 2yr buck, likely from last year as well
Last edited by Bucky on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:29 am

Most of the bucks have shed at my work. I saw plenty of bucks with no gear, but saw 3 smaller bucks with both sides and 1 young buck with 1 side. I thought how close is that one side to falling off, if he has lost the other already? I got out of the car and circled around him as he watched me. I got to within 50yds of him and he decided that was to close and started to run. I had him kinda pinched off and he turned and ran between me and the building in the line of tree's. When he realized this route would take him within 15yds of me, he spooked and really kicked it into high gear. About 10yds past me off goes the antler and I hear it clank on the ground. I walked over and picked it up and held it up to show the owner who was about 60yds away looking at me. :lol: Its got 4pnts on it, typical 8pnt I would guess. I also found a single shed of a larger 8pnt as well. Seems all the mature bucks in that area have shed already, as I saw several with dark stained tarsal glands and big bodys.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:37 am

Here is one that was found on a private farm I hunt... landowner found it while walking dog. I had pics of this buck...
after closer inspection found a 3 blade Rage stuck in spine near base of skull... someone was a little high on the shot :shock:

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:14 pm

Dewey wrote:I have learned that this time of the year if you see fresh drops of blood pay attention because a fresh shed could be very close by. If there is snow backtrack where the buck came from and you might find the antler.

Took my dog out shed hunting for the first time last winter. I was tracking a blood trail, seemed fresh through some cattails when I came to realize it was my dogs pads on her feet getting cut on the icy snow. I felt like a real moron let me tell you, tracking bloody dog pads in the snow for like 10 minutes.. :oops: . After I found that out I felt so bad, I had to blaze her a trail all the way back to the truck. She liked that. :mrgreen:
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:59 pm

When do you guys find your most sheds? During what month, snow or no snow? Explain.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:42 am

Czabs wrote:When do you guys find your most sheds? During what month, snow or no snow? Explain.

I find my most antlers in March. I also prefer to look when there is no snow on the ground. By March, the vast majority of deer here have dropped their antlers and the green-up has not yet started. As of right now, things are still a little bit green as it has been unseasonably warm. I start looking in February though as soon as the season ends, out of boredom mostly. I see a lot of deer that are still packing during February while I'm out walking, but I also find a lot of fresh antlers and I can be sure that no one else is getting to the antlers before me. I found a fresh antler a couple days ago and from cameras and what I have been seeing while out only a few bucks have dropped. Usually, the 1.5 year old deer shed first (just what I have observed). From what I have seen so far this year it looks like the older deer are dropping first.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:01 pm

I went for a walk this afternoon with no luck. Lynchpin found the first shed of the year while muzzy hunting yesterday.

FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:31 pm

Really starting to get the itch now. Think with this warm weather and the little bit of snow we have i'm gonna go tromp around for a little bit tomorrow and see what happens. With some snow left in the woods ill still be able to follow the trails and ill bring the binocs to glass some fields. :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”