American Eskimo shed hunting?

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

American Eskimo shed hunting?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:51 pm

I have a miniature Eskimo that is 4 yrs old. Has anyone heard of these dogs being used for shed hunting?

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: American Eskimo shed hunting?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:56 pm

I'm not sure what's up with the pic. They have always came out full size before. :?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:59 am

I think most any dog can be trained to shed hunt.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Pike

Unread postby Pike » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:08 am

I had a Samoyed that passed away in July, I didnt try to train him to find sheds but he was the most intelingent dog I have ever owned and his memory was incredible. He was very easy to train as far as obedience etc. goes.
As far as shed hunting, a dog needs to have a very good nose, it is harder for a dog to pick up the scent of an antler than it is to pick up the scent of a grouse or woodcock etc.
I would go a head and try it, run a couple sheds thru the dishwasher without detergent and only handle them with plastic gloves and just lay them out in the yard. Then just walk your dog past the sheds and as soon as he get real close to one make a big deal out of it (even if he could care less about the shed laying there) give him a treat every time if you have to at first (but at some point your going to have to cut out the treats) Keep doing it until your dog realizes that finding the shed is what you want him to do. Pike
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:16 am

I can't use the shed in the picture so I need to get another one and I suck at finding them (thats why I could use a shed dog ;) ). Hopefully I will get lucky this afternoon and find one.

Hopefully shed dogs don't need to be trained as puppies to be good.
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:43 am

Be sure to take a good dog brush with you if you are running your dog through the woods! That pretty white hair will be FULL of cockleburrs! LOL!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:36 am

Good point!!! She almost choked to death on a cocklebur she pulled out of her fur, swallowed and got caught in her throat. It was touch and go for hours. It freaked me out. She is like a kid to me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”