A dozen more

• Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

A dozen more

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:59 am

The crappie action was decent yesterday in SE WI. We had a pike swim through and caught him on the jig pole and the action shut off when that happened. The fish were slowly starting to bite again and some guy came and set up right on top of us. I'm convinced he was bad luck after that we marked fish for the rest of the day but only caught 1 or 2 more. I want to get back out this weekend but the shore is almost completely melted away. Thinking about getting out the waders and wading out to the ice then heading out to our spot. Lots of ice yet just gotta be careful! Purple with red and white spikes was the color combo again yesterday. We kept a few small ones but the bigguy on the lower left was 14".

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
huntinnurse
500 Club

Re: A dozen more

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:04 am

Great job!!!!! Do you ever go up north to catch them?
As in Vilas Co.?
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:13 am

No I haven't but would like too. My grandpa lives in Lincoln Cty and he used to fish all over lincoln and oneida but now he is considered a "snow-bird" I guess and goes to Arizona in the winters because he no longer likes the cold. I know he knows of some spots up that way but without him I'd never find them. As far north as I've fished is probably the bearskin lakes and the willow flowage in Oneida County. (hodag will know where those are at if no one else does LOL )
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:53 am

More good fish, any nice females in this group?

The willow has been pounded the last few years with the low water. A shell of itself what it used to be. I fish Bearskin for musky quite a bit....never crappie fished it, didn't even know they were in there.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:50 am

Very Nice Catch. The fish are pounding now with this warm weather, the days on the ice are coming to an end quickly tho.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:10 am

Yupp ice is really moving out fast.

Hodag I am not sure if it was little bear skin or big bear skin I just remember fishing there with grandpa when i was LITTLE probably 14yrs ago now. I think the willow is where he said they did their best crappie fishing though. I have taken my boat out and camped different islands on the willow a couple times for each of the last 3 summers. Our best summer was 2yrs ago when the water was way down obviously the fish were more concentrated and far easier to catch. This past summer water levels seemed to be back up, or close anyhow, and it was much harder to fish. (Also snapped off the transducer on my depth finder on day one : :evil: so that did not help) I don't remember much about bearskin but I do remember we used to ice fish out there. Like I said its been awhile. The only northern ice fishing I've done recently is walleyes on Lake Alice in Tomahawk and have done pretty well.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:11 am

And the littlest ones were females again and one of the better ones was too other than that all males. Sunday will probably be my last day out unless we launch the canoe to get to our spot. :D
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:20 am

Good luck, just be safe. I too (when younger and skinnyer :lol: ) used to do the wader/build a log bridge to the "good ice". Some times even kept 8' 2x6's in the back of the p/u for walking planks.

Have a real good story that i'll keep short. One day, April 15th, 1989, the ice we were on was shifting and instead of running off the ice right away we scrambled to get our tip-downs and such. Time we got back to the "bridge" we were 60' from shore. :shock: Took the rope we had,"daisy chaining" us together and the (3) of us walked off to an opposite shoreline around a point. I was lead man........by holding the spud straight out with my arm and dropping it, wherever it did NOT go thru the ice is where we would walk. Lots and lots of trial drops were just the weight of the spud would punch thru the ice. :shock:

I was in Park Falls yesterday and drove thru Minocqua on the way back and trucks were still driving on the ice. Lots of of standing water though.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:15 am

Wow sounds like quite a rush I don't think we'll head out if its that bad! A few fish aren't worth it but I would like to hit the ice a few more times while its still around. I know my roommate went fishing in stevenspoint tuesday and other people were still driving out there too. I think in that part of the state and further north we will be fishing into april for sure. Tight Lines and stay on top everybody!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Our ice is finished around here, the Coast Guard is rescuing ice fisherman on Saginaw Bay.

Great looking catch, BWH. 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:56 am

NICE CATCH... 8-)
IF YOU MAKE THE NEWS.... Let be for catching a 17 inch crappie. Not for drowning ;)
We lkie you around, be safe out there!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks for the support guys I'll do my best not to fall through. It would be scary that's for sure. I saw some guys fishing on the nembahbin lakes in waukesha cty today as well as lower genessee. The guys were on upper nembahbin which is always the last lake in the area to freeze (dont know why but something keeps it open) and they had a big group so I would say we still have some real good ice. Also lower genessee is spring fed I believe (don't qoute me) and there were guys out there still too. I hope we can get one more outing on sunday and the gap between shore deters everyone else. Tight lines and good fishing everybody.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:31 am

Hit the ice by 7am this morning with a slight drizzle. Hit 3 crappies right away and lost one at the hole. The other guy I was with caught a nice LM bass, if they were in season it was probably just barely legal 15" or so. The fish just shut off after that. We were marking them holding tight to the bottom. As the weather got worse we released our crappies and returned to shore and headed for home. We put in about 2hours of fishing/walking on that slippery ice with nothing to show for it. The launch will hold for a few days yet and there is still more than enough ice to be out there. Unfortunately I won't be in SE WI anymore til the ice is out I am sure. The people at gander mtn thought I was crazy buying bait and ice jigs but I was able to have some success this week on the late ice that everyone was so scared of. Good luck to everyone else still out there and be careful fishing near shorelines they are melting pretty quick. This rain is helping nothing :roll:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:39 am

I was at a resturant bar yesterday evening after a scouting trip and on the way there I was noyicing all the people ice fishing on the Missisipi. Lots of open water along shore and anywhere with current. I thought they were nuts! So anywho, I was in the bar eating pizza when a group of guys recognized me from the DVD's and came over to introduce themselves. They said they were out there fishing and I told them they were nuts. They said that one of them fell through but luckily he hit bottom at chin deep and was able to get back out...
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:27 am

HAHA wow that is crazy! I just don't get it, for a few fish it just isn't worth it. I know the ice on a lot of area lakes is still solid but I would avoid anything with current. That's ridiculous glad no one drowned.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”