Lake of the Woods Ice breakers

• Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Lake of the Woods Ice breakers

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Anyone experienced an ice breaker on Lake of the Woods ? For those who don,t know what they are .When the lake is making ice and ther's nowhere for it to go it will buckle upwards and push through the existing ice and form a rige sometimes 4 or 5 feet tall of broken ice .This happened to me the first time I was there as a young boy on a Church icefishing trip.It,s like an earthquake on ice. All of us kids thought we were gonna die .The breaker came with-in 30 feet of our house.We almost busted the hinges of the door to our icehouse.

Hilts

Re: Lake of the Woods Ice breakers

Unread postby Hilts » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:59 am

I haven't been near one as it formed, but I have been by them when they shift. It will definitely sober you up. It's fun being out there with someone that hasn't been out on the ice much when things like this happen. A guy could really be mean if he wanted to :twisted: .

They tend to form in the same places every year. The pressure cracks formed up here on Chequamegon Bay last week. In fact I will be crossing one of them tomorrow.

It's amazing to look at when you cross them. The force that must be accompanied with that ridge forming is hard to fathom. You are talking about 8-12 inch thick ice being forced upward. A crack that can be miles long. It's amazing.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:31 am

here we are fishing in minnosta..these pics were taken a few years back..iv never actually heard or saw one happen but i have fished(and slayed the fish) next to one of these..
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:34 am

We see those quite a bit out on Lake Winnebago. When I used to do a lot of snowmobiling out there you had to really watch out for those in the dark because they would be pretty hard to see. :shock:
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:59 am

Dewey wrote:We see those quite a bit out on Lake Winnebago. When I used to do a lot of snowmobiling out there you had to really watch out for those in the dark because they would be pretty hard to see. :shock:

I was just going to post about Winnebago also.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:56 am

Ya I have seen them on Upper Red Lake while up there crappie fishing. Never been there when it happened, but can't imagine how much force it would take being the ice is like 4 feet deep. Or maybe them ice breakers happen early when the ice isn't so thick but they are huge.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”