Ice Fishing for Perch?

• Advertisement

HB Store

doll

Ice Fishing for Perch?

Unread postby doll » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:59 pm

when we go ice fishing we catch little 4 inch perch. No lie, u cant keep those, so i was woundering if anyone could give some information on how to catch bigger ones?

Exotic Discus Fish for Sale| Pigeon Blood

3dog

Re: Ice Fishing for Perch?

Unread postby 3dog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:26 am

Try a different bait (bigger), different area of the lake/body or water you're fishing or an entirely new lake/body of water.
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:41 am

Like 3dog said, try different spots on the lake until you find a school of some bigger fish.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:00 am

id try different spot..try deeper water..a lure that i use that seems to catch some big perch are Gem-in-Eyes...those seem to work pretty good for me
steve22

Unread postby steve22 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:44 pm

Try using a decent size Swedish pimple

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:52 am

Deeper structure and a bigger presentation. I'm a big fan of a small spoon and minnow head. My go to presentation on Green Bay (WI).
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Swedish pimple, or rapala makes several ice fishing minnow jigs, and try wigglers also tipped on a jig... I'd say 15-20ft water for perch in the winter..seems to work best where I live..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:19 am

Depends what lake you are fishing. You always try a bigger bait/spoon, but I catch a lot of jumbo's on small horizontal jig heads with plastics. When fishing deep water, it can be a pain, because you are feeding the line down 15 to 40 feet depending on the lake. After 1st ice, the perch slowly make their way to deeper water. Sometimes on structure, sometimes it's over mud flats. I usually have 2 rods at all times going. 1 With small jig and plastics and one with a pimple type spoon and minnow.

A great trick with perch in deeper water, i would say 12' or more, is one rod goes off and the fish is hooked, I reel it up about about a foot and let it sit for a bit. Usually perch are group feeders and more times then I can count, I watch my flasher and while the perch is fighting around on one rod more perch get into the feeding frenzy and come off the bottom and at times while the first fish is hooked I can catch anywhere from 1 to 5 more.

If my plastic is the one I catch on first I try to get one as soon as I can on the minnow, because I don't like to leave my small jig sit, because I use pretty light line. So if I get one on the minnow then I reel the small jig up and let the minnow sit. Hope that makes since.
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:22 am

I get decent perch in about 20' of water. the lake I fish, I find them on a sandy bottom. probably eating bugs buried in the sand?
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:47 am

Use a dropper rig with a lot of flash and a small jig underneath, and fish in the deep mud flats.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:19 am

Brad wrote:Use a dropper rig with a lot of flash and a small jig underneath, and fish in the deep mud flats.

We do this a lot here in Indiana. We are fishing 25-45 fow....flats and long bars with fairly decent drops into deeper water. Gotta get down quick when the school comes thru. Must have electronics to see the fish and your jig. Tip jigs with minnow head. Swiss cheese the area real well so you can hole hop and chase the school! Good eats!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:18 am

Brad wrote:Use a dropper rig with a lot of flash and a small jig underneath, and fish in the deep mud flats.

I use a dropper quite a bit. Usually a rat finkie on a hanger rig or a small spoon. It really helps when you are fishing deeper water with a lot of current. Wind direction and resulting current around a structure can have a huge impact on the bite in a particular area, especially on larger bodies of water...also on safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”