SHIVER on the RIVER!!! 2015

• Advertisement

HB Store

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Re: SHIVER on the RIVER!!! 2015

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:43 am

Man I love walleyes in the frying pan, but not that much! Good luck, be safe.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:44 pm

Looks like a great time !!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:09 pm

wiscbowhntr wrote:Man I love walleyes in the frying pan, but not that much! Good luck, be safe.

If a fisherman has an ounce of common sense, Sag Bay can be a great, exciting place to fish. Its no place for wahoos or greenhorns though...
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:12 pm

I've been on the Bay a handful of times. Once hit a slush pocket and took forever to reach the truck. I prefer the river and open water. Wade to the "hot ponds" or hit the holes on rivers close by where I live. Too many wahoos die on the bay each year or get stranded. I don't want to be one of those :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:59 am

Same with me... I like to see shore on both sides. I do my ice fishing on small lakes.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:03 am

SB stories from "Shiver on the River"...

A few years back, I crossed the "Death Crack" about 4 miles offshore, This immense pressure crack was 70 yards of open water in many areas, other areas the ice packs came within a couple of feet of each other (I GPS'd the crossing as I flew across it at 50 mph). A small portable shanty city had erected on the far side with me. After fishing about an hour, a Coast Guard Helicopter from Air Station Detroit desccended on me... literally. The pilot stopped the bird directly above me, about 150 feet up, and hovered in place. I could see the pilot plain as day, and wondered if the Death Crack was widening? The Bay was frozen across, but what was this guy doing? Then I realized I was sitting on his waypoint, and he likely needed to be on the Death Crack to do a search and rescue. He finally banked the bird over to the crack and began systematically searching it for humans in the water.

Right about then I heard the roar of Coast Guard Station Bay City's giant airboat, with Coast Guard rescue divers going by me with suits and oxygen tanks already on... The bird had located a body, a snowmobiler that had driven into the open water (guys do this every year... drugs and alcohol??? Pure stupidity???). It was then that I saw the Boom Lights turn on up at the Linwood launch, a Beacon of bright light for the rescuers to bring whatever they found to the waiting fire departments and ambulance. They found the snowmobiler floating and recovered the body, putting it into the airboat. The bird from Air Station Detroit left, but before the airboat could get halfway to the launch, it turned around for the Death Crack once again... and I could see the helicopter returning... Another snowmobiler had just driven his sled into the Death Crack at a high rate of speed, but was still alive. They rescued him and put him on the airboat next to the dead body.

Below: The Linwood launch, moving the deceased into a waiting ambulance- a sad ending to what had been great adventure. The next stop across that ice ... is Canada. It's no place for wahoos or greenhorns...

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:31 pm

More pre-fishing today, landed about a dozen walters and most of them were quite small. The tourney starts Saturday, I will get some pics up then. Besides, the dang Coast Guard kept going by me in their airboat to rescue people... Geeeeeeze!! j/k

Yup, that's my shanty in the background. Some more people had a bad day on the Bay.

http://www.wnem.com/story/27972419/two- ... aginaw-bay
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:31 pm

Nice SB. Looks like you're sticking it to them!

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:15 pm

Good luck Scott.....tear em up!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:22 am

Thanks guys, I hope to post pics and updates on occasion as the tournament progresses.

Unfortunately, one of the two guys that broke through by me on their snowmobiles died yesterday. As I keep saying, Saginaw Bay is no place for greenhorns or wahoo's. In the video the Coast Guard rescue crews are going by me in thier airboat, and my shanty is in the background. Not good that another sportsman has fallen...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Man dies after being pulled from Saginaw Bay
Posted: Jan 29, 2015 9:40 AM ESTUpdated: Jan 30, 2015 4:40 AM EST

Posted By Wesley Goheen, Web Managing Editor
By Meg McLeod, Anchor/Reporter
BAY COUNTY, MI (WNEM) -
One of the two men rescued off of the Saginaw Bay in Bay County early Thursday morning has died. Coast Guard officers executed the rescue near the Karn/Weadock Complex in Essexville just before 8 a.m. Thursday.

Allen Pero, 48, of Vassar, and Eric Molina, 24, of Vassar, had to be rescued after they fell through the ice with their snowmobiles near the Consumers Power Plant.

TV5 has learned that Pero passed away Thursday. Molina's condition is not known at this time.

They fell through the ice about 6:20 a.m., the Coast Guard said, adding they were in the water for about one hour and 50 minutes.

The Coast Guard received a report from a good Samaritan about the men falling through the ice. A crew responded and rescued the two men from the water.

Both men were taken to McLaren Bay Region Hospital in Bay City.

Wayne Thomas Wrona was heading out to his ice fishing shanty around 5:30 a.m. when he and his friends heard cries for help.

"My buddy Ray, he hollers says, 'hey, somebody's screaming, somebody's screaming,'" Wrona said.

Amidst the morning darkness Wrona and three others raced toward the screams to find two men in the water. Molina was clinging to a shanty and Pero was gasping for air.

"He's just saying, 'help, help,'" Wrona said.

Wrona and his friend tied both men to their four-wheeled boat.

Meanwhile, another friend called 911 to dispatch the coast guard around 8 a.m.

Molina and Pero were in the frigid waters for almost two hours, but Wrona wouldn't give up on them.

Minutes later, the coast guard arrived.

"Got them on the air boat, brought them back to the station where EMS was," said Olin Darby, with U.S. Coast Guard.

By the time they arrived, Molina was conscious, but unable to move. His uncle, however, was unconscious.

Darby said the hot ponds are notorious for weak ice.

"The ice around consumers' power discharge or the 'hot ponds' is much warmer than anywhere else in the bay and in the river," Darby said.

Wrona said tragedies like this could be prevented.

"They need to put buoys out there and say 'danger, open water,'" Wrona said.

Read more: http://www.wnem.com/story/27972419/two- ... z3QJJF7PTM
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:42 pm

Successful walleye fishing in the tournament today. Yesterday I fished next to s decommissioned Navy destroyer. That was cool!

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”