Looking for advice on flasher purchase

• Advertisement

HB Store

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Looking for advice on flasher purchase

Unread postby olivertractor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:53 pm

I have Vexilar fl8, probably 20 years old, it's neb been solid unit. Looking at ice 55, fl18, or fl28. Cost helps with Hummingbird, but the unknown scares me as its somewhat archaic finding legit reviews. Vexilar fl28 cost hurts, but looks like dynamite unit, just don't know how much use double transducer or zoning into certain depths as most of my fishing is all water column for Lakers (I can see the benefits, but don't know if it's worth extra coin) , so that's why I'm leaning towards fl18. Any really negatives with the Hummingbird flashers that have been experienced, interference with other Hummingbird flashers? Are the functions on fl28 really worth extra cost?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
62kodiak
500 Club

Re: Looking for advice on flasher purchase

Unread postby 62kodiak » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:56 pm

A buddy of mine has the Ice-55 and he really loves it, especially the large dial face and the 6 color display. He said it was a big upgrade from his FL-20. He told me the only way he is getting rid of his Ice-55 is if he buys an Marcum LX-7.

As for the FLX-28, I have heard that it doesn't do much more than the FL-18 and there are problems with it reading reliably in water less than 15ft deep. I hear you have to put it in low power mode and then you loose the digital depth reading and the zoom. These are just reviews I have heard from iceshanty.com. I can't confirm any of that because I am a Marcum guy. Just sold my showdown for a LX-7. I do know that the weed mode is a big hit with the Vex guys though.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:02 pm

My fishing partner has ice 55 also and loves it, but when reading reviews seemed that there was numerous complaints about interference

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:05 pm

I have heard the same thing about interference. My buddy wouldn't have run into that problem because he is a lone wolf and always fishes by himself.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:42 pm

FL-18 has bottom lock (great for use in a boat up to 6ft waves), auto zoom to amplify the bottom 6 feet, low power mode for shallow water or vegetation... it's a homerun. Goes to around 200ft depending on transducer ...so you can use in really deep applications too. Just my opinion...for the $ it works great.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:01 pm

I would go with anything Marcum....new technology leading the ice fishing world.....vexlar ect, ect,is the thing of the past

you get what you pay for ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 pm

I just watched a video of the lx7 and it kind of made me feel like I'm a thing of the past, looks like I'd need a tutor! Lol

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:39 am

I really like my FL18. I also used the Marcum units. Nice units, but not enough to make me switch. I think you will be happy with either.

Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:48 am

I currently own an HB ice-45, a marcum LX5, and I bought an FLX 28 last year. The FLX28 is awesome. I love it and I fish water from 3' deep down to 250'+. The LX5 is a solid unit, but I wouldn't go back after the FL28.

I won't ever buy one of the HB ice series flashers again. I bought because of the features you get at a low price. Also, it was for a back-up and for the kid to use. It works well for him because it is a simple unit to operate. But, the zoom it terrible in comparison to the others though. I know there is people out there that love theirs, but it doesn't hold a candle to the other units in my opinion.

I can get into more detail if you have specific questions.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:27 am

I've had 3 different vexilars and never had an issue with any of them, not one. I am currently using a fl-20 ultra pack and I got it in 2010. If it ever quits I'll buy another. Flasher technology isn't nothing new, it's been around forever in various forms. Until I have trouble with it I'm sticking with it because it does everything I need and then some. I don't switch deer rifles every time something new comes out, same with my ice fishing gear.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:12 am

Thanx for the responses, helpful solidifying thoughts on each unit. I'm probably gonna look at every unit tomorrow again pick one up.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:47 am

I have a Vex FL-18. been great. I have heard that the Humminbird and Marcum are better than the Vex these days. not good enough for me to buy a new one as mine works fine, but if I were in the market for one, it wouldn't be the Vex this time.
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:00 pm

Obviously Most of these units do the same thing. There are some differences. My first flasher was a vexilar fl8. Great unit. About 7 years ago I got to use a Marcum lx5. Flasher dial was MUCH brighter therefore easier to see. I liked the colors better..... yellow then green and finally red. Marcum has an arm to hold the transducer.... vex has the float. I like the soft case Marcum has.... standard. Have to buy the snow shield for Marcum lx5. Marcum has adjustable zoom anywhere in the water column. Also has dual beam transducer 12/20 degree I think.
Marcum units are powerful and use a lot of power therefore need a good battery. On a long day of fishing you may run it dead...I have. A 9 amp battery is better. I have had trouble with the Marcum charging system and this is an electronic device.... it will fail. That being said Marcum customer service has been very good to me....I think that is important.

I would try to see a working unit on the ice to see what you're buying. Call their respective service departments see what repairs are common and the cost. Also ask what new products or developments are on the horizon.... you may decide to hold out for something better?
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:22 pm

I have a Vexilar transducer on my bow mount trolling motor. The FL-18 can be used for vertical jigging in open water applications. Sometimes when I have my boat stationary, I just throw the transducer with the float off the back of the boat and turn on Bottom Lock. If you are in waves, it compensates for the waves. That's what Bottom Lock is. I also run it on the bow mount trolling motor if I'm running leadcore... it gives me another view of what's under the boat before I run my baits through. I have HDS units and so-on for open water but I still find the FL-18 valuable. The 22 and 28 also have that feature. Maybe the Marcum does too but I don't think it does. Up on Lake of the Woods when I'm fishing in my boat, in areas where the bottom is sand and muck, the FL-18 can differentiate between walleyes laying on bottom (vs the bottom itself) even better than my HDS structure scan and sonar.
olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:12 pm

bigwoodsmn wrote:I have a Vexilar transducer on my bow mount trolling motor. The FL-18 can be used for vertical jigging in open water applications. Sometimes when I have my boat stationary, I just throw the transducer with the float off the back of the boat and turn on Bottom Lock. If you are in waves, it compensates for the waves. That's what Bottom Lock is. I also run it on the bow mount trolling motor if I'm running leadcore... it gives me another view of what's under the boat before I run my baits through. I have HDS units and so-on for open water but I still find the FL-18 valuable. The 22 and 28 also have that feature. Maybe the Marcum does too but I don't think it does. Up on Lake of the Woods when I'm fishing in my boat, in areas where the bottom is sand and muck, the FL-18 can differentiate between walleyes laying on bottom (vs the bottom itself) even better than my HDS structure scan and sonar.

For me personally this is great feature as fish lake superior!

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”