Nice looking walleyes!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Eyes on the ICE

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:03 am

rutnbuck wrote:
BigHunt wrote:R n B

do you fish hidden or sunken islands? I have good luck around those structures, I have one or two spots that are sunken islands that have rock structure around it and its almost a guarantee walleye in them spots . what's your thoughts on sunken islands, have you had any success with this type of structure? and or sandbar edges? were the weed beds meet the sand bar kind of like a transition line in a marsh :think: :lol:

The rock structures are good for that one or two eater walleye and then it is done for the night. Those fish haven't been the bigger ones like the weeds. Went last night with 3 walleyes and 6 flags and they were all walleye bites. That was from 4 to 5:15pm. Not bad for just over an hour. Never tried this spot but the weeds were shallow 4-6 foot. Trying another new spot tonight. Hoping for some bigger eyes.

8-)

Looking forward to the report!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:20 am

rutnbuck wrote:
BigHunt wrote:R n B

do you fish hidden or sunken islands? I have good luck around those structures, I have one or two spots that are sunken islands that have rock structure around it and its almost a guarantee walleye in them spots . what's your thoughts on sunken islands, have you had any success with this type of structure? and or sandbar edges? were the weed beds meet the sand bar kind of like a transition line in a marsh :think: :lol:

The rock structures are good for that one or two eater walleye and then it is done for the night. Those fish haven't been the bigger ones like the weeds. Went last night with 3 walleyes and 6 flags and they were all walleye bites. That was from 4 to 5:15pm. Not bad for just over an hour. Never tried this spot but the weeds were shallow 4-6 foot. Trying another new spot tonight. Hoping for some bigger eyes.

Let us know how it gos

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
forgehunter
500 Club

Re: !!!!

Unread postby forgehunter » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:29 am

BigHunt wrote:
rutnbuck wrote:I tried deep 10-30 feet depths with fish but no consistency. Tried shallow weed beds (2-5 feet) placing the shiner 2-3 feet under the ice just above the weeds. BINGO!!! Minimize foot traffic or ATV around your area of holes. Its shallow and they pick up on the vibration. Early morning 5-8 and from 4pm till 6pm has been a consistent bite. 10 pound flouro and # 6 or 8 chartreuse hooks (Gamakatsu Octopus) with a med to large shiner and two BB split shots about 10 inches from the hook. Need a little heavier mono due to the weeds they nose into otherwise 6-8 pound is sufficient. TIPUP!!!!

thanks for sharing 8-)

X2!
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:08 pm

I've been catching walleye quite a bit deeper than you have, I think just due to the structure of my particular lake (very little shallow structure, the drop offs typicaly top out at 10'- 15 feet), and quite possibly the times I'm fishing. One thing has been the same though and that is the weeds, if I'm pulling up weeds once in awhile that hole is usually producing a good catch, a hole only 10 feet away with no weeds quite often will be fishing a lot slower. Later in the season when the weeds are dead and eating up oxygen instead of producing it the opposite can be true.

Although I've fished tip ups most of my life with good results, for some reason in the lake I now live by tip ups simply don't work very well. Instead I usually jig a 1/4 oz Len Thompson baited with a chunk of minnow and fish a jig and minnow on a dead stick within 6- 10 feet of the jigging rod.

Just curious but have you tried moving deeper between the peak times? I've found that if I move deeper as the morning progresses, and vice versa in the evening I can often keep catching fish. Quite often you can see it happen by watching who's catching, those guys a little further out that have been having a slow morning might suddenly start catching fish a 10 am, about the time things are slowing down for the guys fishing shallow.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”