you outfish everyone else because....

• Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: you outfish everyone else because....

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Dewey wrote:When I do go fishing I could careless about outfishing anybody. Just out there to have fun!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

AGREED 100% i fish for fun not to impress or to prove my self!

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Dewey wrote:When I do go fishing I could careless about outfishing anybody. Just out there to relax and have fun! 8-)

I fish for fun, but I tend to be competitive and there is nothing better than out fishing your buddy, brother or your dad.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:50 pm

I tend to do alright when I fish with others, some days real good others not as good, but I have fun. I am not a great summer time fisherman nor do I go very often, so all of these tips are what I do when icefishing. I think my biggest strengths are:

I hate to sit in a shanty if I can be outside for more than 15 minutes without freezing (it takes negative temps with wind to get me in a shanty), so I am free to hole hop. I drill a lot of holes (some days over 200) and only fish the holes that show promise. Catch a few aggressive ones and move on. Its a numbers game to me.

I use horizontal jigs which allows a great presentation for soft plastics and spikes, but my big tip is after catching (or even missing) a fish, reposition the knot so it sits horizontal again. A super small piece of clear surgical tubing over the knot works well for doing the same thing but they are hard to find.

I always fish the top of the fish on the locater, the aggressive fish tend to be higher in the water column, I take them first and work my way towards the bottom so I disrupt less fish as I work through the school, and I tend to get on larger fish more often this way.

I use a ice rod with great sensitivity (most are custom made rods) and I use frabill straightline reels which are basically fly reels, the drag is the thumb pressure you put on(yet will land pike and bass with ease if you are patient), but the key is they do not allow your line to kink and you detect more bites, but even more importantly the bait doesn't spin when you stop jigging.

When i get fish that don't want to bite, I will lower my jig down and "pound the bottom" to stir up debris and muck, and the commotion attracts a lot of fish not showing on the flasher.

When fishing for crappies, I carry two rods, one spinning rod/ reel with a swedish pimple or jigging rapala and the other rod with a frabill straightline with a soft plastic and super small (size 10 at most) horizontal jig with either two spikes, or soft plastics. I start out with the swedish pimple because it fishes fast and it will pick off the super aggressive fish right away, and the fish nearby will feel the vibration in their lateral line, and come in to take a closer look. Then I reel up after the fish stop biting or show less interest and throw down the smaller presentation and pick off the neutral or less aggressive fish.

If a fish wont hit I take the bait from them, every fish has a breaking point where he will not let the bait go any higher without biting, or he will lose interest all together, its a numbers game. If they don't take Im on to the next hole.

When fish wont take to the standard jigging motion I "swim the bait" , sometimes back and forth, sometimes in a circle around the hole etc. This will work sometimes when nothing else will.

I mix up my jigging cadence, sometimes I will just "pound" the jig real fast, letting it bounce up and down without stopping in 1 or 2 inch increments. I use this way probably this way more than any others but sometimes i will jig twice and a sharp jerk and let it flutter down, just try different things till they at least show interest in something.

I have a few other things I am not willing to give away just yet, so I will stop here, but these are some of my best kept secrets, my dad doesn't even know all of these, so their you have it fellow beasts.
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:53 pm

I'm with Dewey I like to just kick back relax and enjoy the day, if I catch fish its a bonus I usually have more cold adult beverages in my cooler than fish lol.

BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:When I do go fishing I could careless about outfishing anybody. Just out there to relax and have fun! 8-)

I fish for fun, but I tend to be competitive and there is nothing better than out fishing your buddy, brother or your dad.

X2. I go to relax but fish hard. I usually come home wiped out but had a blast.
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:20 pm

I agree with the others location is number one. One trick or I guess maybe type of equipment I like is to use a bobber which not only shows a positive bite but also shows a negative bite too. I have caught many fish taking my bait up instead of down. Another is light line.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:31 pm

whitetail007 wrote:light line, good presentation and location, location, location. gotta fish where active fish are at that given time.

x100!! Although I don't outfish usually. ;)
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:33 pm

I go to enjoy myself. But when it boils down to costs to get there - gas, bait, etc.. I fish for a reason. To bring home a nice meal. Not sure if I "out fish" others, but I put my patience in the factor and I try to get on the action. (location, location, location). Lately ive been doing well, but also putting much time in. Which will always give you results.

But then again, I also like to fish from tips I get from a trusted fisherman to another. Lots of fishermen in my family. 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:03 am

"I outfish everyone else because..."

* of my genetics

* I smell better to fish than 99.9% of the other fisher people out there

* I'm a Pisces

* The day I was born my birth-gift was a spinning rod and reel

* I enjoy outfishing everyone else

Today's tip: if your fishing on any given day is far below what you had anticipated, don't be afraid to change things up... DRASTICALLY! I can't count the number of times my old man tied something BIZARRE onto the end of his line, embarassing even, whipped it out and caught bigger fish than anyone in that entire location that day. I still shake my head...

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”