Sturgeon Spearing.

• Advertisement

HB Store

natvbearhntr
500 Club

Sturgeon Spearing.

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Can anyone give some insight on how to go about starting to spear sturgeon? I know I am too late this season but I'd really like to give a try. Does everyone that applies get a license? I know they shut down once the quota gets close to being met I just don't know how to go about getting a license. Thanks, Rene

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Re: Sturgeon Spearing.

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:19 am

Yes everyone gets a license. There is no applying, unless you want to spear the upper lakes. I believe they limit the upper lakes to 500 tags. For Winnebago, you just go and buy your tag at any place that sells them. You have to purchase your license before Oct. 31st. It is really a good time out there and going to see guys and gals registering their fish. Might take years to get one...or even see one for that matter but it is more about the experience for most. Some guys spend alot of time scouting for red worm beds, shad and the best water clarity, and do well each year while others just go out and cut a hole and get lucky. Definately not a cheap sport to get into if you are gonna get equipment, Spears run 150- 200 bucks new, but can be found on craigslist for less. Some guys have pretty awesome shacks and some have homemade frames with dark plastic. It is all what you want to put into it or how much you enjoy it. A saw is not necessary as there are guys all over the lake cutting people in for a few bucks or maybe just have a beer with them. I decided to take this year off and now am kinda bummed. The preparation is just exciting to most maybe more so , because staring down a hole for 6 hours is not for everyone. I will be out there every year spearing or just helping cut in etc.... Any thing specific you would like to know...ask away.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Re: Sturgeon Spearing.

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Thank you for the reply. Do you think with the size of these pop up ice houses you could use that to fish out of or are you required to have a shanty built out of hard material? With this six and 8 man popup ice houses that would leave plenty of room for a hole?

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”