The Fat Lady is Singng......

• Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

The Fat Lady is Singng......

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Checked quite a few lakes today (morning) scouting for an afternoon outing on the ice. Tried a bunch of lakes with south landings and even some of these are open to far shore to get to. Wife and kids were laughing at me breaking thru a bunch trying get to good ice.....over my boots and it was cold water. :).

Finally picked a lake I know I could get on but really didn't have any good fishing spots close enough to walk to but my son and I went anyway. Lucky for one old I guy I picked the "wrong" landing first.....he was trying to come off the ice from fishing all day and broke thru about 20 yards from shore. He was stuck in mud/water above his belly button. Couple people had a rope to him but couldn't pull him out. Myself and another guy got the ball rolling and with a ice sled pushed out to him and all of us pulling on the rope we got him out. His wife was there to drive him home. He was lucky.

So we head to the "good shore" and walk out. It was late in the day, good ice about 10" thick and I only brought my spud. Opened up 3 holes and caught all small perch but it was fun. One other guy was out further than austin and I and he started walking in right at dark.....we started to pick up too. The landing had great ice straight out from the landing about 30 yards wide between 2 cane reed patches. Well this guy walking in cut the corner too sharp and fell in the water buy the canes. I heard him fall in and could see he was in about chest high, yelled to him I was coming

and just hang on. Well, he took another step and went completely under but quickly popped back up. He had ice picks around his neck and pulled himself out before I even got there but he was soaked. Luckily we were only 50 yards from shore at this point. He jumped in his truck and took off.

Told austin how bout we don't tell ma these stories.....fat chance. He told her everything. :) the ice I took austin was plenty safe but the "boss" (wife) says austin can't come sun morn with me. Why does she it's ok for me to go? :) lol

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image

Brad

Re: The Fat Lady is Singng......

Unread postby Brad » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:59 pm

Wow glad you guys were near shore with the proper safety equipment. I don't know if I would go today or not though :mrgreen: .

Hodag Hunter wrote:Checked quite a few lakes today (morning) scouting for an afternoon outing on the ice. Tried a bunch of lakes with south landings and even some of these are open to far shore to get to. Wife and kids were laughing at me breaking thru a bunch trying get to good ice.....over my boots and it was cold water. :).

Finally picked a lake I know I could get on but really didn't have any good fishing spots close enough to walk to but my son and I went anyway. Lucky for one old I guy I picked the "wrong" landing first.....he was trying to come off the ice from fishing all day and broke thru about 20 yards from shore. He was stuck in mud/water above his belly button. Couple people had a rope to him but couldn't pull him out. Myself and another guy got the ball rolling and with a ice sled pushed out to him and all of us pulling on the rope we got him out. His wife was there to drive him home. He was lucky.

So we head to the "good shore" and walk out. It was late in the day, good ice about 10" thick and I only brought my spud. Opened up 3 holes and caught all small perch but it was fun. One other guy was out further than austin and I and he started walking in right at dark.....we started to pick up too. The landing had great ice straight out from the landing about 30 yards wide between 2 cane reed patches. Well this guy walking in cut the corner too sharp and fell in the water buy the canes. I heard him fall in and could see he was in about chest high, yelled to him I was coming

and just hang on. Well, he took another step and went completely under but quickly popped back up. He had ice picks around his neck and pulled himself out before I even got there but he was soaked. Luckily we were only 50 yards from shore at this point. He jumped in his truck and took off.

Told austin how bout we don't tell ma these stories.....fat chance. He told her everything. :) the ice I took austin was plenty safe but the "boss" (wife) says austin can't come sun morn with me. Why does she it's ok for me to go? :) lol

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”