Walleye Challenge! I Need Your Help!

• Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Walleye Challenge! I Need Your Help!

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:41 am

Ok, here's the scoop. I'm in a big walleye ice fishing tournament this saturday. I've caught walleye through the ice, but I don't really know what I'm doing, as far as targeting and catching specifically walleye.

I'm rigging my tip ups for this day. What I would normally do is put a swivel on the ice line with a 10lb mono leader, and a treble hook. My bait would be a minnow. Is that a good way, or is there a better way???

In NY I'm allowed 5 tip ups and 2 jigging rods.

So please tell me the best way to rig my tip ups, and the best way to rig my jigging poles. What size and kind of lures? Spikes or mealworms? Do regular worms work in winter? Does the lb test of line matter?

Oh, and what depth water they like.

Tell me your ice walleye techniques... :mrgreen:

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Bucky

Re: Walleye Challenge! I Need Your Help!

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:02 am

6lbs test Berk Vanish with two way swivle backed with dacron, small trebles, minnows for bait (golden shiners,fatheads, etc in MidWest) light sets on the tip ups, 6" - 12" off bottom, drops, rocks, bottom transitions sand/rock to mud etc., low light is your best shot so go early and stay late

For jigging I like a smallish swedish pimple with minnow heads (break head off body for bait and change frequently to keep fresh smelling minnows head on). We use shiners/fatheads in the Mid-West, not sure what you have available out East :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:17 am

Not sure what the average size walleye is in the lake you are fishing....but I always go with a lighter leader than 10 lb. On Lake Winnebago The fish can be at any depth in the water column. They love to suspend over the mud flats. The higher they are...the more active they tend to be,Meaning a better chance at catching them.Transitions are also good locations to target. ( hard to soft bottom, sand to mud etc...) As far as baits....I have never caught a walleye on mealworms/spikes, but I have never targeted them with those baits. I am a huge fan of jiggin raps and pimples. Usually put a minnow head on the middle treble of the rap. They like that here. Are you using a Vexilar or some other type of sonar unit? That would increase your success 10 fold and help you figure out what type of action is getting there interest.There are alot of excellent jiggin spoons that work great for walleyes. As far as colors...well I believe that is all dependant on the lake.Walleyes can be finicky critters and there prefernce in color can change throughout the day even. Coppers and gold I do really well with here. I usually set my tip ups as you but with lighter line. I also like to hook the minnows through the tail to allow maximum action.Of course this is where I fish here. Geez I wish we could use 5 tipups and 2 jiggin rods! We are limited to 3 hooks in the water period. Good luck and let us all now how your tournament goes....
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:27 am

What size trebles would you guys use?

How long do you make the leader? Is 6lb really better do you think? I hate losing big fish that's why I use 10, but if walleye are that line shy, I'll go to the 6.

I don't think the walleye are that big, a good one 5lbs, a monster 8lbs....I think...and there are big pike here too.

Do you put weights or let the bait swim freely?

How big should the bait be?

Minnow heads on the lure? I'll try it...thanks

By two way swivel, is that the same as a barrel swivel?

Thanks guys... :mrgreen:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:32 am

Hours of the tourney? From what time to what time is fishing allowed?

What lake, pm if you like. I will pick out spots based upon those two factors and then we will proceed from there.

For the tip ups run a 20-30lb dacron line then a swivel with 12lb fluorcarbon tied with a #10 treble hook. (hook size can be up or down 1 size). Split shot is an option to control minnow movement (location from hook and weight).

The 10lb mono idea isn't a bad one but fluor is better for less abrasion and can use a higher weight (12lb) but will equal the mono diameter of about 4-6lb.

Jigging.....try a ice jigging rapala, ice rap, swedish pimple or the less used and deadly Lindy Darter. Minnow head on the treble portion is the trick.

Edit: Fluor length 24"-30". I like to know when pulling the fish in actually how close to the hole we are. (ice thickness matters.) to close and could bonk the fish under the ice risk losing it. To long of a Fluor leader and your grabbing the leader the last few pulls risking a break off.

Do not be afraid to let these fish make runs if they want to, keep tension on the line but the the fish peel out what it wants. No horseing them in or you risk break offs.

Large golden shiners....in and around 5 inchers.
Last edited by Hodag Hunter on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:42 am

I went out walleye fishing (4) times this winter.....last saturday was a skunk :oops: otherwise here are the results.

All northern WI inland waters..... note these are not all the fish we caught each night......not by a long shot. ;) Ask Magic if he had fun. ;)

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:43 am

Hodag, the lake is called The Great Sacandaga Lake.

The hours kinda suck, No lines in the water until 7am, and it goes to 3pm, so that leaves out prime time. Holes can be drilled and ready, but nothing in the water till 7am.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:45 am

Wow, nice fish Hodag.

Note to self---Listen to what Hodag says. :D
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:56 am

Spysar wrote:Hodag, the lake is called The Great Sacandaga Lake.

The hours kinda suck, No lines in the water until 7am, and it goes to 3pm, so that leaves out prime time. Holes can be drilled and ready, but nothing in the water till 7am.

Almost 25,000 acres. :shock:

The whole lake open for the tourney?

I'm having trouble locating a good topo map of the lake? Do you have a link of one by chance?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:25 am

It's a giant lake, and no I don't know how to put a topo of the lake... :oops:
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:54 am

If pike are part of the tourney I would probably target those.... Easier 2 catch this time of year and during those hours. Just bump up the leader test.... 6lbs is probably a little light for eyes but my experience with walleyes and tip ups they are super finicky most the time... The tension on the flag should be as light as possible.

A flasher is really nice is u are jiggn for them... They suspend when actively feeding but I have always had better luck setn tip ups lower than higher for eyes...

25K. That is a ton of water! Good luck!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:57 am

You said that you are allowed 2 jigging poles.. If things get finicky and your search/spoon jig pole isn't working but is attracting fish.. Try # 12 good treble minnow( hooked in tail ) with split shot.. Key is to drill 2 holes close to each other but not too close set the minnow rod and jig with a spoon in the hole next to it.. If a fish is seen on the sonar and does not take your spoon.. Then jig with the set minnow.. The way the minnow moves while jigging is almost irresistable.. The way they flutter down is awesome.. Note.. Jigging this way takes a lot of patience.. Because the splitshot always go down first.. Hope this helps

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Bucky , pike aren't in this one(tourney).. Chances are good someone will lose a rig to a pike if we use 6lb test. I guess who cares if that what it takes to get walleye.

ompaathao, what's a search spoon? I like your idea of having a lure on one jig stick, and a minnow on the other. I'll probably try that.

I don't have any electronic sonar or anything like that... :oops:

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Ok spysar...do a google search for jammin jigs Richard jig. That lure is deadly. :D
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:30 pm

And I do not know you ...but I hope you got a snse of humor...

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”