Walleye Challenge! I Need Your Help!

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Walleye Challenge! I Need Your Help!

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:46 pm

Pullintoobs wrote:And I do not know you ...but I hope you got a snse of humor...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:48 pm

The once world record pike came from the Great Sacandaga. It's just the NY record now...
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Spoon... Swedish pimples.. Buckshots...forage minnows.. Etc.. I meant a gold treble.. Dang spy.. If you were here in WI you could just borrow my equipment... I've never fished without a sonar unless I'm fishing an area which is 10 ft and shallower..it's hard for me to fish without my Vexilar.. Tip ups are good and also tip downs too.. Tip downs I like more because even with the slight nibble.. You can detect that a fish is on.. Plus if you are a handy man you could make your own tip downs.. I've caught lots of walleyes on tip downs.. I like lighter line... Something you could get away with.. Tip ups require more bigger line.. Because the fish actually has to run with the bait to trigger the flag..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:55 pm

omp, I don't think I ever saw a tip down...The good news is I was digging around, and found lots of different lures to try. I'll get extra minnows to pop the heads off and use on the lures.

Do you guys have to have "certified bait" like we do in NY? It sucks you can't trap your own bait anymore to use, and the "certified" stuff is an arm and a leg to buy...friggain NY. :evil:
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:10 pm

If I remember correctly.. Tip downs were created here in central WI.. People make them with parts under $10.. But Mills Fleet Farm sells them for $22-$24.. Walmart also has a type where you would use your own rod.. Google it or even check the vids out on You Tube.. When I go ice fishing I never leave without them..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:32 pm

Tip down are not the best when in freezing conditions. Don't even waste your time with them now.

They are fun and work well in warmer temps but loose their effectiveness in the weather we are having now.

If your rigging your tips up now, go with the fluorcarbon vs mono for the leader....trust me on this one.

Make sure your tip-ups move very freely, you must have zero resistance with walleyes.

Regarding WI minnows.....yeah, we can't trap our own unless trapped and used on the same body of water. Large golden shiners are going for $7.50 a dozen at local bait shops.

Without a good map of the lake locating a spot is a shot in the dark with the el-cheapo maps I can find on the net. I will scour around some more tonight. Location is everything for consistantcy.....these fish move alot and what worked yesterday may not work today.

The lake actually looks like a flowage.....try any kind of neck down areas adjacent to deep water with a flat or point near by. A fast drop is best vs a gradual one. Fish the 1st break earlier in the day and maybe try locating to the 2nd or 3rd break as the day progresses. These will be tough to do unless you have a detailed map or electronics to do so. I mark(gps) a ton of spots during summer in the boat and tranfer my graph from the bow of the boat to the wheeler for ice-fishing.

Locating fish is actually a lot like deer using topos....

Is this a big money tourney or for "fun"?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks for all the good advice Hodag. The tournament has $45,000 in prizes. $30 entry fee. I had to enter back in December.

I'll pick up some flourocarbon.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:23 pm

Oh and I did look at the tip downs. I didnt know about them, they look interesting. Like Hodag said, they look tough in freezing or windy conditions.

As far as the law, is a tip down considered a tip up, or a jig stick???
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:47 pm

Spysar wrote:Oh and I did look at the tip downs. I didnt know about them, they look interesting. Like Hodag said, they look tough in freezing or windy conditions.

As far as the law, is a tip down considered a tip up, or a jig stick???

Good point.....NY may throw them in the jig pole class. I don't really know?

WI we are allowed (3) lines/hooks. Open water or ice.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:06 pm

One othe question, how long should a minnow be? 1" 2" 3" 4"??? Not bigger than that right?
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:50 pm

5" +/- for walleye.

Some guys go smaller.....some guys go larger.

If the lake is loaded with smaller fish try smaller bait.

Wouldn't be afraid to upsize a line or two with a hog shiner for that special tourny fish. ;)
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm glad I asked, cause I would have used a much smaller size. The only problem with the bigger bait, is the big pike in the lake.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Never having fished your lake.....is it known for large pike or tons of smaller pike (like WI)? I did read up that some big pike come from that lake.

I like larger shiners to minimize the small pike from hitting all the time. Our shiners come in "large" 4.5" -6" and "medium" 3" - 4.5".

I would try both sizes.....what do the local bait shops recomend? Every lake can be different and fish can be finicky.

When I'm using large shiners it's 90% of the time on a night bite. During the day (your tourny time window), fishing right at the breaks or flats as the fish travel deeper from being shallow at night, maybe want a smaller meal?

Walleyes during the day can be real tough here in WI to consistantly locate and catch.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 pm

With "toothy fish" pike, walleye, musky etc......a rough rule of thumb is 1/3 of the length of the fish is the average bait size they prefer.

Example 21" walleye - 7" bait.

I have baits that are close to 24" stretched out when fishing for big muskie........pounder bulldawgs. Have caught many 30" pike on these baits.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:13 pm

Hodag, I love big fish, and I don't mind using a big bait to get them. For some reason I just thought walleye would be a smaller minnow kind of fish. But they are in the pike family aren't they? They have teeth.

Oh, and the lake once held the world record pike, which is now the NY record, so yeah, there are lots of big pike there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”