Any sturgeon spearers here?

• Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Any sturgeon spearers here?

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:24 pm

Wasn't looking good for the coming season on Lake Winnebago but she sure is making ice now!! :shock:

Hopefully the cold weather continues and everybody can have a safe season.

I never tried it but it sure looks like fun and I enjoy cruising around out there checking out the monster fish. One of these years instead of just being a spectator I need to get a license.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Re: Any sturgeon spearers here?

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:33 pm

I am a sturgeon spearer... I have been asked to go for many many years, but never had the interest, Till I gave in and went as a spectator. I loved it and went and built myself a big shack and am addicted to it now. It is one of the few things I truly look forward to every year. I cannot wait. Just hope it stays cold and the ice gets much better.....Anyone who even has a slight interest really should go for it. But I warn you it can become addicting!
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:18 pm

I ve never tried surgeon, but I was looking at Norther Pike spearing videos on You Tube. And they were spearing huge sturgeon 100 ,200, and 300 pounders.Some I think were even bigger. Looks awesome.
I went out pike spearing last weekend. Got a couple 5 pounders.
I've seen 20 pound pike spearing. And they are almost scary , they look so big. I couldn't imagine a 200 pound sturgeon.
One of the very first times my dad brought me spearing, I was staring down the hole and a darn muskrat came ip into our hole for air. Let me tell you, well lets just say I ended the spearing for the day.
It was kinda hard to keep spearing with NO door left on the spearhouse. Yeah I busted through it! Broke it right off the hinges. And my dad didn't even get mad. He was too busy laughing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Only thing I have ever done that gave me the same adrenaline rush as arrowing a buck at close range...

I had my brother and two of my dad's buddies sitting in the shack when this one came cruzn thru on the bottom, I had a hard time seeing her on the bottom in 8ft of water. They were all screaming throw throw throw... just as it was hitting the edge of the hole my eyes focused on the target and I launched the spear. Sturgeon are all muscle and extremely strong fish to fight on a rope. My brother almost fell in when he grabbed this one by the tail and launched it out the door!

I think the reason it is such a rush is you don't typically have time to prep, you stare at the water for hrs/days and then the action happens in 30 secs!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:00 pm

I've only ever speared carp, it was somewhat lame IMO. Problem I have is I get all amped up for something and then tend to be greatly disappointed, spearing was one of those things. I think I'd have a blast watching the spearing so long as there was a deep fryer going and a full cooler.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:00 pm

Funniest story I ever heard during sturgeon spearing had to do with a Black Lab in a sturgeon shack............

So this guy is sitting in his shack with his dog sitting next to him. Next thing you know Rover notices a smaller fish in the water and decides he wants to dive in after it! Problem was he ended up under the ice and swam under water to the side of the shack. The guy thinks oh oh this is not good until he hears somebody screaming in the next shack over! :shock:

Here another guy was sitting peacefully in his shack staring down into his big hole in the ice patiently waiting for his trophy sturgeon and all of a sudden a Black Lab pops up in his hole scaring the daylights out of him :shock:

Can't imagine experiencing that but it sure made me laugh! :lol: That will wake a guy up if your not paying attention!

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Dewey wrote:Funniest story I ever heard during sturgeon spearing had to do with a Black Lab in a sturgeon shack............

So this guy is sitting in his shack with his dog sitting next to him. Next thing you know Rover notices a smaller fish in the water and decides he wants to dive in after it! Problem was he ended up under the ice and swam under water to the side of the shack. The guy thinks oh oh this is not good until he hears somebody screaming in the next shack over! :shock:

Here another guy was sitting peacefully in his shack staring down into his big hole in the ice patiently waiting for his trophy sturgeon and all of a sudden a Black Lab pops up in his hole scaring the daylights out of him :shock:

Can't imagine experiencing that but it sure made me laugh! :lol: That will wake a guy up if your not paying attention!

:lol: :lol: Man that would give the old heart a good stress test!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:33 pm

muddy wrote: I think I'd have a blast watching the spearing so long as there was a deep fryer going and a full cooler.

It is a big party out there....Everyone has a full cooler...and tons of food....My brother sets up a bar in his shack...quite fun. Some of the shacks out there are really amazing....
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Opening this weekend. Anybody going?

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:45 pm

If I didn't have a 10 year anniversary party (mine) to go to I'd consider a road trip for this party.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:56 pm

My brother is cutting in on Friday... Not sure where he is puttn shack yet

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Anybody heading out on Winnebago be extremely carefull. We flew over last night coming back from Louisiana and had the pilot do some low fly overs. Would guess maybe 10 shacks out already on the east and north shore......yeah I only said 10. :shock:

Was very easy to see where open water was only days ago from the air.....from the ice it will be a different story. I used to spear many years ago........it was fun but fishing to me is getting away from the crowds.....can't do that during sturgeon spearing. :lol:

Good luck to those who go but be safe. I pray any trucks that go down this weekend, because some will for sure, don't have kids in them.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:52 pm

This is the latest report I could find. I get these from the DNR so I will post them daily thru the season.

February 6…….The cold weather seems to be back and so are some renewed hopes that ice conditions may improve sufficiently to allow greater access for sturgeon spearers to more of the Winnebago Lakes this coming Saturday, opening day of the 2012 season. The lakes, as always, though, are still dangerous in many areas for ice travel. I will repeat my ice travel mantra: Don't rely on anyone else's ice reports - know for yourself how good the ice is where you plan to travel. Reports I have been getting in from around the lakes indicate most spearers plan to use four-wheelers to get out there this weekend. I also hear that the water seems to be clearing a bit along the east shore with visibilities now up to 11.5 feet there in some areas. Still a little cloudier along the west shore (8.5') and still clear in the Upriver Lakes.

There have been rumors circulating around about whether the season will go on because of the less than optimal ice conditions. Below is an answer I recently sent to a person asking about the status of the season:

"In response to your question about whether the DNR would close the upcoming sturgeon spearing season due to poor ice conditions - we (DNR), working with the public, Natural Resources Board, and the legislature set the seasons for fishing and hunting . The anglers, spearers, and hunters who participate in these seasons are responsible for their own actions in the pursuit of their sport. Sportsmen and women make their own decisions, and may elect not to go out on the lakes to fish during thunderstorms, to hunt during ice storms, nor to spear or ice-fish on marginal or dangerous ice."

The bottom line is - the season is set and goes on. Be safe - make sure you use good judgment when going out there.

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:00 pm

Cuttin in tomorrow....the shacks are starting to fill the ice on the south side and east side. NO TRUCKS for us this year. ATV only. Been hearing reports of quite a few cracks opening up all over the lake. Will definately be checkin the ice before my shack is going out.. Have not spent too much time on the lake this year but hopefully will find some good ice and clear water. Hoping for a safe season for anyone that is going.. Will post pics after the weekend.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:23 am

My brother's shack mate just stuck a 50lber on the South side of Winnebago :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”