heading out on the hardwater tommorrow!!!!

• Advertisement

HB Store

swamp-assassin
500 Club

heading out on the hardwater tommorrow!!!!

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:12 pm

went out to check the ice tonight, 3 inches on the turn basin! low of 5 tonight so i will be walking out onto the hardwater come sunup tommorow to pull some walleyes out of the river!!!! i am stoked...prolly wont sleep tonight. come tommorrow, flags will be flying, the humminbird will be hummin and the jigs will be pumping..hopefully some fat green bay walleyes coming through the holes! :mrgreen:

"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Re: heading out on the hardwater tommorrow!!!!

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:23 pm

well that trip was a dissapointment...but good to be out...now the ice is probably gone :cry: ....so i get out there and the main channel is open as i expected, 4 inches on the turn basin...i set up my boards and set up my house, start jigging, i get a little dink 14 inch eye and then i hear the ice making strange sounds....and what sounded like someone talking to me on megaphone....so i look outside and there is a tug in the channel 40 yards away from me...some guy comes out and says "hey we need to turn the barge around so you have to move"...i says ok, so i pull up my tipups, pack up my house and head over to an island...took them 20 minutes to turn a barge around but they were kind enough to not fully use the basin so they only busted up maybe 10 yards of ice...which meant i was about 20 yards from the 20 foot channel...i was on 4 inches of ice over 15 feet of water...so i get back out there and jig up a whitefish...well then another tug comes with a bigger barge...this time i left my tipups out and just pulled my sled about 100 yards away...they really stirred up the water and broke up more ice...so i get back and my tipups are between me and a crack that is leaking some water...well i waited until it was time to go to pull them to give the crack time to freeze up...i headed off and havent been back since...the ice is prolly gone...im itching to get back out so bad....what a dissapointing december :cry:
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:25 pm

ooo thats ok man .....just do the next best thing

scout for bowhunting
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:58 pm

BigHunt wrote:ooo thats ok man .....just do the next best thing

scout for bowhunting

no snow either..need snow to do that
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Ahh heck I've got an itch too.. Want to hit up the Wisconsin River back bays bad...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:11 pm

swamp-assassin wrote:
BigHunt wrote:ooo thats ok man .....just do the next best thing

scout for bowhunting

no snow either..need snow to do that

no you dont ....didnt yioiu see my vid on scouting yesterday ...no snow
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:17 pm

It stinks, I want the ice too but its just too dang warm. I was hoping they would freeze up real nice and we could get some good fishing in before the snowmobiles came out there.
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:36 pm

finally!!!! im getting out on the ice tommorow...gonna fish shawano lake for eyes...will post pics if im successful
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:44 pm

swamp-assassin wrote:finally!!!! im getting out on the ice tommorow...gonna fish shawano lake for eyes...will post pics if im successful

AWESOME good luck
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:48 pm

I must be a pussy I hate freezin my off while fishing :lol:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:50 pm

rack addict wrote:I must be a pussy I hate freezin my CENSORED FOR BAD LANGUAGE off while fishing :lol:

dude not when your in a 70 degree shanty ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Good luck out there.. I will be out Saturday morning at Petenwell.. Heard the Lure was stacked with crappies right now

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:24 pm

I am going this weekend one way or the other! Anything over 1.5 inches of ice and I am going, I simply cant take it anymore, it is eating me alive not being able to go after them.
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:00 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I am going this weekend one way or the other! Anything over 1.5 inches of ice and I am going, I simply cant take it anymore, it is eating me alive not being able to go after them.

make sure you can touch bottom if your going out on less than 3 inches! be safe man...no fish is worth your life going through in 10 fow or deeper...but it may be worth it if you only get wet!
i know man....its been awful this winter...i feel like ive spent the month of december in limbo...orbiting around in space...constantly dreaming about staring at my flasher...jigging in my fishtank...which is stocked with 6 inch shiners, 6 inch suckers, 3 inch shiners and fatheads...ive been out trying to trap creek chubs too... i have to say this month ive bought about 100 bucks worth of lures and 3 new ice rods, three new reels..quality reels as i am sick of ice fishing with cheap reels..and ive spent dozens of hours pouring over my countour maps, studying lakes adding waypoints... i have to say...i am as ready as i have ever been to hit the hardwater...all that time jigging im the fish tank and ive dialed in the technique for using a do-jigger spoon...sounds simple but i found out its not...if you have a meat stick in 28" medium...you can wiggle the tip on the raise and it translates to the spoon...slowly lift and wiggle, gradually speeding up and then a subtle flip and drop your tip down straight so the spoon falls on slack line...if done correctly, the do-jigger, and do-jigger only will flutter down on its side ever so slowly....it made me want to eat it....
wow... i really need to get out there...im losing my mind
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:33 pm

swamp-assassin wrote:
Brad Lamont wrote:I am going this weekend one way or the other! Anything over 1.5 inches of ice and I am going, I simply cant take it anymore, it is eating me alive not being able to go after them.

make sure you can touch bottom if your going out on less than 3 inches! be safe man...no fish is worth your life going through in 10 fow or deeper...but it may be worth it if you only get wet!
i know man....its been awful this winter...i feel like ive spent the month of december in limbo...orbiting around in space...constantly dreaming about staring at my flasher...jigging in my fishtank...which is stocked with 6 inch shiners, 6 inch suckers, 3 inch shiners and fatheads...ive been out trying to trap creek chubs too... i have to say this month ive bought about 100 bucks worth of lures and 3 new ice rods, three new reels..quality reels as i am sick of ice fishing with cheap reels..and ive spent dozens of hours pouring over my countour maps, studying lakes adding waypoints... i have to say...i am as ready as i have ever been to hit the hardwater...all that time jigging im the fish tank and ive dialed in the technique for using a do-jigger spoon...sounds simple but i found out its not...if you have a meat stick in 28" medium...you can wiggle the tip on the raise and it translates to the spoon...slowly lift and wiggle, gradually speeding up and then a subtle flip and drop your tip down straight so the spoon falls on slack line...if done correctly, the do-jigger, and do-jigger only will flutter down on its side ever so slowly....it made me want to eat it....
wow... i really need to get out there...im losing my mind

I hear ya, I have bought two new rods so far and a reel, just because it gives me something to do since I cant fish at least I get to pretend. I am going absolutely crazy!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”