walleye

• Advertisement

HB Store

swamp-assassin
500 Club

walleye

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:15 am

Who else is getting excited about walleyes through the ice...? im about ready to start practicing jigging in the fishtank! :lol:
what are everyones favorite tactics? i almost always run 2 tipups with sucker minnows and then use a jigging rap in the house..

"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
BigHunt

Re: walleye

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:38 am

swamp-assassin wrote:Who else is getting excited about walleyes through the ice...? im about ready to start practicing jigging in the fishtank! :lol:
what are everyones favorite tactics? i almost always run 2 tipups with sucker minnows and then use a jigging rap in the house..

i love chasin eyes but have a hard time finding good lakes that hold them .........

swamp how are you tip ups set up ..do you use steel liters or mono line?
i use 3 feet of 14 pound test mono as a liter and a gold hook ...some guys swear by the blood hooks(red) but i think the gold are the best for eyes

what kind of bait do you use? i use med goldens shinners the smaller the better i found out ..
my buddy says the bigger the minnow the bigger the fish ...IDK

i set up an hour before dark and fish all night
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:03 pm

big hunt...where are you located in SE WI? kosh has had a really awesome walleye fishery in the past but last year i heard it was junk...otherwise theres bago but i think youd do better on poygan..idk...i live on green bay :D ...door country walleyes are an hour and a half away...little bay de noc walleyes are an hour and a michigan liscense away...and menominee river walleyes are right here! :D ..
as far as tipups go i use 10# test seguar florocarbon...theres nothing better. 14 is too much...i caught a 20 pound pike on 8 lb mono and a single hook...just got to play them right 8-)
florocarbon is less visible than mono and more abrasion resistant...not good for open water but its the best for under the ice. i dont bother with the colored trebles..ill throw them on if its in my tackle box but i dont pay attention...if your fishing deeper than 10-12 feet of water, red just turns into grey. its called washout. 5-6 inch suckers for bait...one of my favorite lures for a tipup is a jb gem n eye...i just take and hang a treble hook off the back like so.

then i take and hook the minnow through the big hook and let the treble hang off the back...either that or i use a plain treble.
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:17 pm

swamp-assassin wrote:big hunt...where are you located in SE WI? kosh has had a really awesome walleye fishery in the past but last year i heard it was junk...otherwise theres bago but i think youd do better on poygan..idk...i live on green bay :D ...door country walleyes are an hour and a half away...little bay de noc walleyes are an hour and a michigan liscense away...and menominee river walleyes are right here! :D ..
as far as tipups go i use 10# test seguar florocarbon...theres nothing better. 14 is too much...i caught a 20 pound pike on 8 lb mono and a single hook...just got to play them right 8-)
florocarbon is less visible than mono and more abrasion resistant...not good for open water but its the best for under the ice. i dont bother with the colored trebles..ill throw them on if its in my tackle box but i dont pay attention...if your fishing deeper than 10-12 feet of water, red just turns into grey. its called washout. 5-6 inch suckers for bait...one of my favorite lures for a tipup is a jb gem n eye...i just take and hang a treble hook off the back like so.

then i take and hook the minnow through the big hook and let the treble hang off the back...either that or i use a plain treble.

i live in kewaskum....

14lb to much eh :think:

florocarbin eh......thanks for the adive ill have to try this this season
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:14 am

We always use to run an 8lb mono leader. We would start out on early ice with #8 trebles(#6 if they were pounding everything). We would switch to #10's around january and down to #12's until late ice.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:34 am

Kosh is a quick 10 min drive but is a tough fish. There are some guys out there who just crush'm every year but I don't. Not there. ANd they are pretty tight lipped about where they catch'm too. So would I. I have had decent luck up to Beaver Dam but the size is 18" there where Kosh is still 15". Now the spring walleye run, if anyone wants to go out for that give me a shout. We'll boat 40+ walleyes a day with ease. Doing a lot of sorting though. I don't want to over sell it and say how many we have boated but action isn't an issue. Jockying through all the boats is an adventure in it's own as well.

I run 8lb mono with no. 10 treble and a small yellow bead or two rigged in to the line above the hook. Those are what all my beaver dams have. This is what I use all year. Unless I am in pike country, then I step it up a bit and will use a heavier fluoro carbon leader, which my old frabil discs are set up with. i quit useing steel leaders years ago. In clear water I target off shore humps but stay JUST off them in 18-21' and 2' off the bottom. LIke find where the hump stops, that intersection. That is my tried and true method for many Oneida coutny lakes. Mud flat lakes like Kosh and Beaver dam I hug the bottom pretty tight. Most of Kosh is 5-7ft deep. Lots of pike, lots of whitebass.

Swamp is right about the red washing out. Red is the first color in the color spectrum to fade out under 15'.

I am very curious about your set up there Swamp, I think I am going to have to find that and give it a shot. Rarely do I use a 5" bait unless it's smelties. Hey, I'll try anything.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:26 am

Kodiakman wrote:Kosh is a quick 10 min drive but is a tough fish. There are some guys out there who just crush'm every year but I don't. Not there. ANd they are pretty tight lipped about where they catch'm too. So would I. I have had decent luck up to Beaver Dam but the size is 18" there where Kosh is still 15". Now the spring walleye run, if anyone wants to go out for that give me a shout. We'll boat 40+ walleyes a day with ease. Doing a lot of sorting though. I don't want to over sell it and say how many we have boated but action isn't an issue. Jockying through all the boats is an adventure in it's own as well.

I run 8lb mono with no. 10 treble and a small yellow bead or two rigged in to the line above the hook. Those are what all my beaver dams have. This is what I use all year. Unless I am in pike country, then I step it up a bit and will use a heavier fluoro carbon leader, which my old frabil discs are set up with. i quit useing steel leaders years ago. In clear water I target off shore humps but stay JUST off them in 18-21' and 2' off the bottom. LIke find where the hump stops, that intersection. That is my tried and true method for many Oneida coutny lakes. Mud flat lakes like Kosh and Beaver dam I hug the bottom pretty tight. Most of Kosh is 5-7ft deep. Lots of pike, lots of whitebass.

Swamp is right about the red washing out. Red is the first color in the color spectrum to fade out under 15'.

I am very curious about your set up there Swamp, I think I am going to have to find that and give it a shot. Rarely do I use a 5" bait unless it's smelties. Hey, I'll try anything.

kodiak ive outfished alot of people by using big suckers for walleye...size doesnt seem to matter either. ive had 15 inch walleyes eat 6 inch sucker minnows plenty of times...but you do tend to get the bigger bite with the big bait...

as far as line goes i would have to agree that 8 lb. is prolly the best for walleyes but where i live is famous for big walleyes so i step it up to 10..dont want to lose a 12-14 lb pig at the hole. i also have found florocarbon to be much more durable than mono and less visible...the downside to florocarbon is memory but that isnt an issue on the ice ;) so my humble opinion is floro is superior to mono for a ice leader...because of this you can go down on the ratings...if i were using mono i would want 12 lb. strength but 8 pound diameter...using 10 lb. floro accomplishes pretty much just that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”