instant fire in seconds

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

instant fire in seconds

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:10 am

in boy scouts we drowned a peice of birch bark in water for two days then lit it and it went right up like it was soaked in gas.
the trick is, theres natural oils in the bark that burns wildly. remember that one the next time ur camping or lost in the woods!

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Re: instant fire in seconds

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:44 am

That is a cool demonstration. We actually did the same at the cottage last year....and it lit up quickly and burnt with black wisps of smoke trailing off. I guess the oil content is very high.

When I head out on a northwoods track, i will rip some shreds that I find hanging off birch trees and slip them in my jacket pocket, just in case.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:16 pm

bighunt wrote:in boy scouts we drowned a peice of birch bark in water for two days then lit it and it went right up like it was soaked in gas.
the trick is, theres natural oils in the bark that burns wildly. remember that one the next time ur camping or lost in the woods!

yep, that birch bark is good stuff for fires and I've used it more than once. I also love to use white birch trees to write notes to messy hunters that need to clean up their blind or treestand from the litter they've left scattered about. 8-)
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:57 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
bighunt wrote:in boy scouts we drowned a peice of birch bark in water for two days then lit it and it went right up like it was soaked in gas.

yep, that birch bark is good stuff for fires and I've used it more than once. I also love to use white birch trees to write notes to messy hunters that need to clean up their blind or treestand from the litter they've left scattered about. 8-)

:lol: good thinking singing bridge ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Birch works great. Along with that, don't forget about the hard balls of evergreen pitch you find dried on trees. They are awesome too and got me through a couple of years of guiding in montana.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:12 pm

thats good stuff guys...didn't know the birch would still go when wet, or about the evergreen pitch
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:45 am

AC Rider wrote:Birch works great. Along with that, don't forget about the hard balls of evergreen pitch you find dried on trees. They are awesome too and got me through a couple of years of guiding in montana.

cool intresting ill bring that up with my scout leader
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:48 am

I hope I am not lost and cold for 2 days to try this out. :lol:
good tip!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:16 am

another great tip for starting a fire. if your going out in the wilderness and you know there is a chance you could get stuck out over night, you can prepare an easy fire stater and pack it with you. smear some petroleum jelly (vasoline) into some cotton balls. they light up real nice and fast. carry them in a 35mm film canister and keep them in your pack.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:26 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:another great tip for starting a fire. if your going out in the wilderness and you know there is a chance you could get stuck out over night, you can prepare an easy fire stater and pack it with you. smear some petroleum jelly (vasoline) into some cotton balls. they light up real nice and fast. carry them in a 35mm film canister and keep them in your pack.

Exactly what I do. They burn for a long time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:01 am

BigHunt wrote:
AC Rider wrote:Birch works great. Along with that, don't forget about the hard balls of evergreen pitch you find dried on trees. They are awesome too and got me through a couple of years of guiding in montana.

Are you involved with the boy scouts?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:09 am

Spysar wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

Are you involved with the boy scouts?

;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:05 am

If I didn't get kicked out of the CubScouts I might have made it to the BoyScouts... :oops:
However after setting a small forest fire when I was 10 I learned this trick on my own :oops: :oops:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:08 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:If I didn't get kicked out of the CubScouts I might have made it to the BoyScouts... :oops:
However after setting a small forest fire when I was 10 I learned this trick on my own :oops: :oops:

:shock: :lol:

how did you get kicked out
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Some good info here. Thanks for posting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”